VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am as green as grass to this forum, but i'm a fast learner so please forgive my lack of knowledge!

Im in need of some help, I have a budget of 7.5 - 8.5 k to have a nice t4 swb camper conversion, which will have to be classified as a camper - to benefit from cheaper insurance.

I have never worked on a car / vehicle before, but i am a dab hand at DY and i dont feel daunted about a project.

So i need help on what i should do.

1.) Buy a base van - panel van and completely convert from scratch inc windows
2.) Buy a van ready insulted and lined (plenty on ebay)
3.) Buy a converted van (seem to be expensive with many miles on clock).

Personally i would like to get a panel van which is a blank canvas (4k should do it), but how much will a full conversion cost if i do it myslelf, i want wardrobes, RR bed electrics / lighting, cooker, fridge, lowered, alloys / windows. Down the road even put a pop top roof in (when the kids pop out). I have about 4k for the conversion if i spend 4k on the van. Is this enough?

I actually have no idea about products out there, whats good and whats not, so research is essential. But if anyone has any recommendations of products that would be amazing.

you can email me on [email protected]

Im based in manchester, so would like to meet other people and chat about the possibilities, as i dont want a botch job, or to waste money.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well for starters I love th way I am going with mine although I am also a complete noob at this, I bought a cheap panel van and have had the engine sorted although it still needs a few bits and Project power is the target, it was lined when I bought it but windows and other accessories means that I am virtually starting from scratch again and thoroughly loving the experience.
Its great to get a target and work towards it,

Really happy with mine

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hi All,

I am as green as grass to this forum, but i'm a fast learner so please forgive my lack of knowledge!

Im in need of some help, I have a budget of 7.5 - 8.5 k to have a nice t4 swb camper conversion, which will have to be classified as a camper - to benefit from cheaper insurance.

I have never worked on a car / vehicle before, but i am a dab hand at DY and i dont feel daunted about a project.

So i need help on what i should do.

1.) Buy a base van - panel van and completely convert from scratch inc windows
2.) Buy a van ready insulted and lined (plenty on ebay)
3.) Buy a converted van (seem to be expensive with many miles on clock).

Personally i would like to get a panel van which is a blank canvas (4k should do it), but how much will a full conversion cost if i do it myslelf, i want wardrobes, RR bed electrics / lighting, cooker, fridge, lowered, alloys / windows. Down the road even put a pop top roof in (when the kids pop out). I have about 4k for the conversion if i spend 4k on the van. Is this enough?

I actually have no idea about products out there, whats good and whats not, so research is essential. But if anyone has any recommendations of products that would be amazing.

you can email me on [email protected]

Im based in manchester, so would like to meet other people and chat about the possibilities, as i dont want a botch job, or to waste money.

Cheers

Alex
Get your self to a meet
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1397177#post1397177
You can chat away with the guys who have done their own T:
4k will get you a nice van, mate of mine is selling a 51 1.9td swb white t4 low miles 96 i think, with a fresh respray for selling and refurbed alloys at bus types show ( come along?) for 4k T:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Buy the best base vehicle you can find and DIY the conversion. You will then know exactly how it was built and be assured of the workmanship.

Van prices vary wildly and as time ticks on , really good t4s are becoming scarcer, yet t5s still command high prices. You are going to need anything from £3000 to £5000 for a pretty good van, more than likely.
Don't be overly put off by what may seem like high mileage, but try to find something with good history and with belt sevices etc, well up to date. Unless you really know what you are doing, rusty vans will always be rusty vans.
Time would be well spent having a read through stuff on here and try to get to a local meet and a show or two maybe :*
Work out what you need in your conversion, starting with how many people you need to accomodate. This will determine what seating you need and therefore sleeping too.

Welcome and good luck. If in doubt ask ! T:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You are well within budget, my van a 98 1.9td had 119k when got it last yr paid £1850 if I paid an extra £3000 couldnt of got a more reliable van, Iam in the middle of converting should easily get it all done for £2000, paid £600 on lowering, windows, insulate , carpet, viynl.
Good luck with your search you can get all the info on tthis forum for doing jobs & recommendations for conversion companies etc.T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts