Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,
earlier on today i tried to start my van (92 1.9 non turbo velle) and nothing,
the lights flashed when i tried to turn the key once or twice but now nothing,
I can hear the relays doing there thing but there is no action,
i had started the van about twenty minutes beforehand first turn,
the battery is fairly good, it can require a bit of encouragement to start at times but it always does eventually,
I was thinking glow plugs but that wouldn't explain the lights not coming on.
any help at all would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!!!
cheers.T:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
As Spudbasher said, is it cranking? Ensure battery contacts are clean and the solenoid connections down at the starter are clean, including the little "exciter" wire. It's a harsh environment and it can work loose as happened me this week.

Clean all and re-assemble and cover with a smidgeen of Vaseline.

If the little spade connection on the solenoid is a bit loose, GENTLY squeeze the terminal with pliers and reattach.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As above but don't forget the earth lead too .Goes from battery down to chassis near right hand side of gearbox then carries on to bell housing bolt.
Also could be dodgy ignition electrics,try pushing the key UP OR DOWN OR LEFT OR RIGHT while turning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much lads for all the replies will look at all the things above and see how i get on,
Spud, It's not turning over at all, just clicking away with all the relays and stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RJ the picture was very clear and a big help, it fiddled around with those connections and it seems to have done the trick!!T:

·
Registered
437 Posts
when its nicer weather, take off the spade connector (battery connections etc) and give the terminal a good clean with wire brush. It'll be worth it.

Hardest thing was finding it in the engine bay ! LOL:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts