VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first problem with my 2.5tdi T4 today..... went to start her up and nothing??? turned ignition back off, on again and it struck up..... Then finished a hard day at work, jumped in me van, turned the ignition, and nothing again... tried a couple of times and absolutely nothing... (lights all came on dash, but no starter turn) opened the bonnet played around with a few things, swore at it, jumped back in to give it one more try before callin the breakdown, and it started first time(as it used to)......

Any ideas as to what it could be?

thanks Gav..........

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Pull the wire off Clean the contacts on the starter motor.. its on the RHS quite low down
Or could be starter motor playing up maybe??

·
Registered
437 Posts
Could be the ignition switch. It's a common problem with them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys... will have a look tomoroT:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Starter motor solenoid could be seizing. Had this on mine. Try tapping it gently with something solid (e.g. hammer) - it's on top of the starter motor.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Try the flylead on the starter motor,thats the thinest of the two wires goin to the starter motor.Squeeze the connector and pull it of the terminal and check it for green corrosion,clean it up with magic spray (wd40 etc) and clean the terminal with abrasive then refit the connector and see how you go.
Thats the most common cause of not cranking/starting that i have come accross on a T4 and its easier than checking the ignition switch.
It is more than likely going to be this so try it first T:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had exactly same problem on my 2.5TDI.

I have been looking at it tonight, and have just found that the short (1" long) braided cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter was corroded to bits - it looked absolutely fine, but then I wiggled it a bit and it disintegrated in my fingers. You should still hear the solenoid clickin on when you try to start, but the power is then not getting from solenoid thro to starter.

Will be checking tomorrow if poss to replace just that braided cable - looks bit fiddly with one end bolted to the solenoid (easy) but the other end disappears intot he strater body (???) - if not poss to replace that cable then guess it's a new starter .

Dunno if that may be same prob you have?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Try the flylead on the starter motor,thats the thinest of the two wires goin to the starter motor.Squeeze the connector and pull it of the terminal and check it for green corrosion,clean it up with magic spray (wd40 etc) and clean the terminal with abrasive then refit the connector and see how you go.
Thats the most common cause of not cranking/starting that i have come accross on a T4 and its easier than checking the ignition switch.
It is more than likely going to be this so try it first T:
Seconded! Definitely first thing to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts