VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. We've got a bit of a problem. In June (the week before main summer holiday....) the van refused to catch from cold - it would turn over, and eventually start, but not happily. After some um-ing and ah-ing at the garage over glow plugs it seemed to be air in the fuel system. New run off pipes and filters seemed to resolve it and the trip went without incident. Over 1000 miles later, with maximum period between uses of a week, yesterday whilst en route to a festival it started fine from cold, first turn of the key. After refuelling (it was 3/4 full so topped up with diesel at the BP once the engine was warmed up) it refused to re-start. Breakdown guy managed to get us going, and we got here without turning off ignition. Once we parked up when I tried to restart, it refused to. And this morning won't start from cold either. Battery gauge in camper interior showing it is charged ok. I paid for the plugs to be changed around 5 years ago, prior to that I suspect it was on originals. Its a 1996 model which I've owned for 10 years. Serviced by VW for first 9 years and by independents since. I'm not mechanically very able - just want to go to garage armed with some suggestions. We live in Chester. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Air can get into the fuel system through the throttle spindle. The not starting when warm suggests a fuelling problem. Check for free play in the throttle spindle which is on top of the pump, just follow the throttle cable along T:

Check that there is no wetness on the leak off pipes and also that the blanking plug has been changed. I replaced my leak off pipes the other week and two of them split within days of fitting, so wen to TPS for some genuine pipe. When they split it reacted in exactly the way that you described. You may well have had a few issues, changing what you did helped, but there may still be other problems.

With my AAB I have ended up changing throttle spindle & bush, glow-plugs, fuel filter, thermovalve, glow-relay and fuse-board. With a 100a battery added to that it starts on the 1st turn every time.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=226851&highlight=1993+cold+starting

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Many years ago I had a very strange problem ,and it was an insect yes insect had decided to make home in my fuel breather pipe which if I remember correctly would stave the engine of fuel .When I took the filler cap off a rush of air would fill the tank .So check the breather pipe is clear ,it hangs down underneath the filler cap under the van cheers :cool:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You dont need to be mechanically able , to check and repair certain basics , buddy ..!! Maybe another local T4 would give some basic pointers ..at £50+an hour , garage bill to do some things is madness ..!! A beer or two , or a skill swap ..?? Check for air in the clear fuel return pipe , for clues .. Diesel needs a completely air-tight delivery , to work properly , once that has been established , there are not a lot of things to stop diesel from working ...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you do have to take it to a garage for the work, then make sure that you find somebody that knows T4's. Don't pay somebody to learn at your expense. I made this mistake, but it has ultimately saved me a fortune, as I do all my own work now.

I have learnt a great deal over the last 4 years and a lot of that has been from on here. Research is the key to any job and good tools T:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers all - to update, new solenoid and replacement wiring around the fuel cut off switch seems to have done the job, fingers crossed... Oh, and yet another set of fuel return 'pipes' as they were dripping once again... If anyone local does feel like sharing any expertise it would be much appreciated! Cheers! Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts