VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.5tdi 52 plate starts no problem.........until the fuel level gets to a certain point, when it gets just below the 1/4 mark it has problems starting, sometimes it takes maybe 4, 5, 6 turns before will start, on a few occasions it has not started at all. If I keep fuel topped up above this mark, no problems at all.................any ideas what could be problem?

cheers

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,786 Posts
Fuel pipe in the tank....known to develop a hole (or 2), so once the fuel drops below that hole, it just sucks air in.

The (passenger on RHD?) seat has an inspection hatch under it (you need to remove the seat, and any carpet/matting) that allows access to this.

You should see air bubbles in the feed pipe from the filter to the pump if this is the problem.

BTW, year is more helpful than "52 plate" to us foreign people...I:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one thanks!.........sorry, thick as mince when it comes to all the technical stuff, I thought 52 plate meant it was 2002, but see it could be 2003?.........lets just say 2002 for now lol.........I know its the model with the higher 102BHP

thanks again

·
Registered
555 Posts
What he said ! ^^^^^^

I have had it on at least 4 of my t4 the 2 pipes on top of the sender/pick up... one of them will be cracked allowing air in and fuel to run back to the tank ! Not too bad a job but you need to order from dealer or tps and much easier if you remove both seats so you can pull the mat up enough to get to the sender underneath the removable black cover..have a bin liner handy to pop it straight in so you don't get diesel all over your lovely van interior !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've known this to also happen when the injector pump seals are leaking causing the pump to lose prime overnight as the fuel gets drawn back into the tank when below a certain level. More likely the pipe though.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,786 Posts
Nice one thanks!.........sorry, thick as mince when it comes to all the technical stuff, I thought 52 plate meant it was 2002, but see it could be 2003?.........lets just say 2002 for now lol.........I know its the model with the higher 102BHP

thanks again
You have to remember, not everyone on the forum lives in UK.....
I left 10 years ago, so NO idea what plates go with what dates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will tackle that later on in the summer, will live with keeping fuel topped up for now, been doing that for about 5 years now lol......it is a bitch though when fuel level gets down to the death line and you can't be bothered going to garage to top up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi ,

I think I have the same problem, takes ages to start when left overnight or an hour or so. The when warm starts no probs.

I can see bubbles in fuel line to. Is there anyway of sealing / covering over the holes on the fuel feed/return lines. Or introducing a sepaerate feed/return fuel lines.

My T4 2.5 tdi 88 bhp model is an ex taxi and has done 450000 miles on the original engine/box. The gearbox has a cover plate on the end does that mean its the stronger VW box ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gents.... thanks for this thread!! My 2001 ACV has loads of air in the clear bits of the fuel lines. and just cut out whilst rolling down onto my drive.
The interesting bit is that last year, my pump had issues and required a new seal, due to air ingress. , and the symptoms felt similar. I just got Vagcom (VCDS) and there was nothing relevent in the codes. HOWEVER, the big clue is that unusually for me, the van is just going into the red on the fuel gauge, having just returned from a long trip late at night. So I'm rather hoping that sticking a few gallons of derv in will temporarily sort this. On the off-chance, does anyone have the part number for the section that needs replacing?

Many thanks one and all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The OEM number 7D0919183 seems to apply to most of the t4's, 1993 onwards.
there seems to be a few suppliers, including Meat and Doria, never heard of them! I've just read there are major brands, just rebadged. Is it worth shelling out on the OEM at £100 plus, or get VDO at half that? mmmm decisions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts