VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, hope someone can shed some light as to what the problem could be with starting the van.

Drove to work yesterday morning, no problem, finished work at 2 went out and van would not start, turns over but not firing up. Got out, locked van, unlocked van tried again, nope wouldn't start. Rang RAC, they turned up had a look, scratched his head, checked to see if any fuel was going through to the engine when turning it over, nope. He thinks it could be the immobilisor stopping fuel going through, now the van has one built in to the key/ignition system I believe but also the alarm has one as well, after the wife brings down the box for the alarm with the instructions he determines that the alarm is not wired up as an immobilisor but just as an alarm! so its down to 3 things:

1. Immobilisor
or
2. stop solenoid
or
3. fuel pump

the last being very expensive so he says. :(

Anyway, he leaves saying he cant do anything there but if I book it into a garage RAC will recover the van and take it there.

5 minutes after he leaves the van starts!! I:

This morning van starts and I go to work, but when I finish it wont start again!! tried 3 times, nope wont go. Got out, locked doors, unlocked doors and it started!! Weird. :confused:

This happened once before about 8 - 9 months ago, only once and never done it again til yesterday.

Come on then guys, give me some pointers as to where to go T:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like immobilser, had the same thing with my father in laws wagon, something to do with the locking system.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi,,Check my posts there are lots of starter /fuel related problems on there to must to list in a reply. Good luck

·
Registered
764 Posts
Novo

I would go for the ignition switch not sending power to the fuel cut of soleniod on the injector pump. i have seen this problem on loads of T4's

May be worth a look:ILU:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hi my 2.5 tdi is exactly the same,it dont like starting in hot weather.
Turns over but wont fire up.
Try couple of mins later and its all ok,big puff of white smoke "unburnt fuel"
Starts first time every time when cold :confused:
Thought it may be a temp sensor some where.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I would guess theres a bit of fluff somewhere

Damn that fluffI:

(seriously if you wantsomeone to come and waggle bits in your engine whilst you try and start it give me a shout)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts