VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i have a 1997 1.9td that some times fires up straight away and other times it will just turn over and not start and sounds like its not firing,so you have too leave it for about 20 mins try again and he fires up with a nice puff of white smoke and stays a bit lumpy and a bit smokey until its properly warmed up,had new cambelt and glow plugs fitted about 500 miles ago,however sometimes the starter motor sticks[just clicks]when it does turn,it turns fine,this is what i need to know would the starting motor be the problem even though its still turning the van over fine apart from sticking now and again,cheers in advanceT:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Very much doubt the starter is stopping if from firing more likely the immobiliser or ignition switch not energising the fuel cut off valve.
does it still smoke/run lumpy if you start it with manual advance lever out? if so could be timing out slightly

·
Registered
898 Posts
Check the earth lead from the starter motor to chassis.
Had the same prob on my ABL last week,the connection was loose,cleaned it up and it starts allot betterT:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi, I had this exact problem and it turned out to be coroded connections on the starter motor. Took all the connections off, cleaned 'em up and she fires up like a new van every time now, hot or cold.T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts