VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
On boxing day i drove about 85miles (bearing in mind i only rely just drive to work an back 5miles every day) and i could hear a wierd clicking noise coming from the right of my dash didnt think much of it and when i got there i parked up an left it over night.
The next morning i went to start her and she didnt start first time as she normally would,it wasnt until the 7th try that finally she started with a big cloud of white smoke going pass.ive just had a new battery fitted and the oil/water levels were fine so was very confused to what was going on as this never happend before.
Going back to the clicking noise a mate said it was a rely or fuse making the noise maybe that has something to do with it not wanting to start
:*:confused: :eek:

Over to you T4 lovers

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Had a similar experience, turned out to be one of the wires on my battery connection had come loose and made relay 109 buzz.

Could be the same if youve just put a new battery in?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Post the details of the year and engine so that somebody here smarter than me, (that's just about anybody), can suggest a solution.

There is a glowplug fuse under the bonnet contained in a little black plastic box, it's about 50 Amp, check this. It can degrade and fail over time.

Look at the relays. If you have a Relay 109 then they can be problematic. A lot of the black coloured 109 Relays have been replaced by an improved Grey coloured 109.

In any case give the Relays a little wiggle to settle them.

Some people, (me included!), carry a can of Easy Start. It's up to you, opinion is divided on whether it's safe to use. If you use it, use as little as possible and ideally have a mate crank it before a quick squirt into the air intake.

So check the glow plugs, lots of threads, copy and paste this link for a bit of reading: http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/GlowPlugs.shtml

Another here on Relay 109: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68572

Lots of people will now post to tell me how wrong I am, but no harm in that.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Same prob om my 2.4. Started one day not the next..just like that! Couldn't hear relay clicking (RAC bloke said). Using easy start at the mo! But also could be MY glow plugs. Start with the easiest..relay etcT:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, i checked he fuses under steering wheel to the right and one of the fuses was loose so just pushed in with finger simpels, as for the engine not starting it done it again today didnt start first time after work but when i got home turned it off an back on and it started so must be somit to do with it being cold. I have a 1.9td v reg 130k. I think i need new glow plugs and i heard that once you start using easy start you cant stop so dont wana beat about the bush

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glow plugs at halfrauds are 39.99 popped in today but didnt ask what tool id need :* does any one know? hope to fit them at the weekend :ILU:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too am having the same similar but very intermitent problem with starting.

Went to camper mart, yest (grreat show) started fine in morning, after show, again at services.
Last night went to go out again, NOTHING !!!!

I always try to park it nose downhill as someone told me this helps for some reason.

recently changed ignition switch that was all fine !

will keep u posted if i fix it !

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 98plate 2.4dwith exact the same problems turns out it was a dodgy glow plug relay and hs been starting fine ever since,i used easy start for about three months i only needed it in the morning or when the van got cold this has been fine for about a month since changing the relay untill last night i took the van to the shops turned it off and when i came out to try and and start it it fired and then died as if it had ran out of fuel so thinking thats what it was went and got some fuel even the gauge said i had just under quarter of a tank (best eliminate the obviosue first) now the van just turns over and will not even start on easy start!? i have changed the fuel filter today as was told that if this was blocked it could be a problem........no difference tried easy start again and nothing i have tried it ith the old relay and the new relay and have tried bumping it down my hil (mistake now its stuck at the bottom) i need some guidance!?!? how would i know if the fuel pump was at fault"?!?! eveyone i have asked said you will hear the pump prime when you turn the ignition but i couldnt before!?!?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got home from work as I walk to work and although being so cold today it started fine.
????? its a mystery ! :confused:
Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
324 Posts
put diesel priming pump in line on clear fuel line as sometimes not enough pull off diesel pump get from local factors worth a tryT:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all well I got new glow plugs and fitted only two as its one hell of a job. I then noticed a fuel pipe to the left of the engine had split so replaced that and now it runs sweet best of luck guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts