VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have an engine that is covered in oil at the moment. My mechanic thinks he's got it sussed and that it is a rocker cover area problem.

However he has advised me to get my engine steam cleaned as it is currently covered in oil.

As a first time engine steam cleaner is there anything I should not be squirting steam at or can I pretty much just go nuts and give the whole thing a blast?

Is it advisable to remove the undertray?

I would imagine a certain drying out period is needed before starting the van, can anyone advise on this too.

Sorry for the basic level questions, really don't want to knacker anything up.

Many thanks in advance.

smbm

P.S does anyone in the Southampton area have a steam cleaner I can borrow?

·
Registered
433 Posts
not really sure rocker cover gasket is a simple job to do yourself i have used just gunk off engine cleaner from most motor factors and just a normal hose pipe also in the past ive used a hose pipe running hot water with the engine cleaner you should'nt really need to pull the sump cover off it will all just run out. hi pressre washing and steam cleaners just watch your electrics and air intakes and just dont go high pressuring gaskets ect should be fine:ILU:
mind you if you can get your hands on a steam cleaner and do it properly it is a better job.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, I will try and track down some of this stuff and follow the directions.

Do I need to cover up any of the electrics or just try and avoid them?

Running a 1.9TD so there aren't that many electrics to speak of!

·
Banned
300 Posts
removing engine tray easy job and i would if steam cleaning as best bet to get to most of it

as for rocker cover gasket doddle of a job 3 10mm bolts if remember correct i would check your breather pipes coming from the rocker are not blocked as that puts preasure on rocker cover gasket meaning would show leak at weakist point

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
take the under tray off,trust me,itll need doing also.have a look in yellow pages or similar for local steam cleaning.they have decent steam cleaners,as opposed to most pressure washers people have at home:*.id be tempted to wrap any elec blocks/maf connectors etc in a plastic bag n tape,cover yr fuse box up too.T:i did mine at my mates garage,hes got a decent steamer...lot nicer to work on now that everythings not caked in gunky oil!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I'll get on the blower tomorrow and see what I can rustle up. Been offered the use of a domestic steam cleaner which is apparently not a pressure washer but a dedicated steam cleaner. Might try that first. Get some gunk remover on there too.

Will defo have a look at covering electrics too, although being a 1.9TD it doesn't have much going on in that department.

Just need to suss out these last couple of engine bay problems and then I can relax.

Cheers for your help everyone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I work for one of leading manufacturers of pressure washer (company policy means I cant say who on the internet:*) a domestic steam cleaner will not put out anywhere near the same pressure as a commercial machine and will take a lot ( and I mean a lot) longer to complete.

Jon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgive me for asking a possibly silly question...

Aside from the obvious, what are the differences between a steam cleaner and a pressure washer?

I've never owned or used either. Just from the names I have a pretty good idea but if someone could elaborate.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Do I need to cover up any of the electrics or just try and avoid them?QUOTE]

I would definately be covering up the alternator. Try and avoid areas where there are seals like camshaft & crank behind the pulleys. The seals generally are designed to keep oil in & dust out. My pressure cleaner is around 1500psi & that would be enough to force water past the seal & into the inside of the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to cover up any of the electrics or just try and avoid them?QUOTE]

I would definately be covering up the alternator. Try and avoid areas where there are seals like camshaft & crank behind the pulleys. The seals generally are designed to keep oil in & dust out. My pressure cleaner is around 1500psi & that would be enough to force water past the seal & into the inside of the engine.
I'm definitely going to avoid the pulleys side of the engine, the main places that need cleaning are the sump, all down the front where the injectors and glow plugs are (proper filthy down there) and down by the oil filter etc. Although the alternator could probably do with a clean I think I will do that with something other than a pressure washer/steam cleaner/whatever I end up using.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Forgive me for asking a possibly silly question...

Aside from the obvious, what are the differences between a steam cleaner and a pressure washer?

I've never owned or used either. Just from the names I have a pretty good idea but if someone could elaborate.

Cheers
A steam cleaner is a small machine about the size of a pull along vacum cleaner that just produces steam from a resevoir tank contained in the unit, usually at about 3bar of pressure, and you can get various accessories such as directional nozzles, brushes and irons (for clothes).
A pressure washer is connected to a water supply via a hose pipe and will blast the water out at anything up to 200bar or higher. Most steam cleaning of engines done commercially is usually done with a hot water pressure washer that will heat the water up with an onboard heating unit to as high as 180 degrees, although the pressure when using hot water is greatly reduced to about 30bar (throughput of the water needs to be slower to allow it time to heat up).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A steam cleaner is a small machine about the size of a pull along vacum cleaner that just produces steam from a resevoir tank contained in the unit, usually at about 3bar of pressure, and you can get various accessories such as directional nozzles, brushes and irons (for clothes).
A pressure washer is connected to a water supply via a hose pipe and will blast the water out at anything up to 200bar or higher. Most steam cleaning of engines done commercially is usually done with a hot water pressure washer that will heat the water up with an onboard heating unit to as high as 180 degrees, although the pressure when using hot water is greatly reduced to about 30bar (throughput of the water needs to be slower to allow it time to heat up).
Brilliant information, thanks.

Is there anywhere you can suggest where I might be able to use a proper steam cleaner without the outlay of having to hire one fore the day or buy one? Do you get them at proper car washing and valeting places normally for example?

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts