VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
Just bought a Stebel Nautilus all in one twin tone horn from Halfrauds.
How do you fit these things? It seems to have a weird housing as part of the casting, which has a hex shape cast inside the square block. This appears to be shaped to directly fit the bolt/nut that comes with it. There is also a hole in the top of this casting, that the bolt will not fit into.
Also, after checking the wiring diagram, I see that I need to use the relay that comes with it & a 20A fuse (that doesn't). I do have some space in my spare Ex AA fuse holders. I wonder if I can put it into that box with a 20A fuse, or if the wiring cannot take that amount?
Anybody know?? :confused::confused:

Edit: also, is the horn hot wired or ground wired (as the instructions state) as this changes the way the horn is wired....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi all.
Just bought a Stebel Nautilus all in one twin tone horn from Halfrauds.
How do you fit these things? It seems to have a weird housing as part of the casting, which has a hex shape cast inside the square block. This appears to be shaped to directly fit the bolt/nut that comes with it. There is also a hole in the top of this casting, that the bolt will not fit into.
Also, after checking the wiring diagram, I see that I need to use the relay that comes with it & a 20A fuse (that doesn't). I do have some space in my spare Ex AA fuse holders. I wonder if I can put it into that box with a 20A fuse, or if the wiring cannot take that amount?
Anybody know?? :confused::confused:

Edit: also, is the horn hot wired or ground wired (as the instructions state) as this changes the way the horn is wired....
The wiring for a T4 is on the BOTTOM RIGHT of the wiring diagram

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So that would be the one with the ground lead to the horn push?

Thanks for the offer, Trev. I have some cable & spade connectors. Just need to find out how to mount the thing. As I said, the only bracket that is part of the horn is this weird casting.
It is a square hollow block with a hex indent inside it, with another hole.
I will try to get a pic up abit later (gotta go out now).

Edit:
Some pics of the horn casting:

·
Registered
533 Posts
So that would be the one with the ground lead to the horn push?

Thanks for the offer, Trev. I have some cable & spade connectors. Just need to find out how to mount the thing. As I said, the only bracket that is part of the horn is this weird casting.
It is a square hollow block with a hex indent inside it, with another hole.
I will try to get a pic up abit later (gotta go out now).
Correct. On mine I just put a nut/hex bolt through the metalwork, dropped the horn onto the bolt head and tightened from the other side.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
I fitted mine in place of the original horn. I placed the relay in and upgraded the fuse. Works fine.
I have just rotated it so it doesnt catch water, but it still works fine. If you wire it the wrong way it just makes a farting sound. Just swap the wires and it should work.

Cheers

P

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fitted mine in place of the original horn. I placed the relay in and upgraded the fuse. Works fine.
I have just rotated it so it doesnt catch water, but it still works fine. If you wire it the wrong way it just makes a farting sound. Just swap the wires and it should work.

Cheers

P
Not quite sure of what you are saying there, paul.:confused:
Are you saying that you used the original wiring & just somehow added in the relay?
I ask this as you say you upgraded the fuse.:confused: After reading the wiring diagram, it seems that you need to put in a new power supply, fused with 20a fuse & run that current through the relay, into the horn. It would appear that the diagram uses the original horn wiring as the switching/signal wire for the relay. That's why I asked which way around the original horn works.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As it sits next to the battery I ran all new wiring direct from the battery with an inline fuse.

Just used the old horn lead from the steering wheel as the "trigger" wire to switch the current through the relay.

Hope that makes sense.

top tip: Don't be anywhere close to the horn when you try it for the first time!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it sits next to the battery I ran all new wiring direct from the battery with an inline fuse.

Just used the old horn lead from the steering wheel as the "trigger" wire to switch the current through the relay.

Hope that makes sense.

top tip: Don't be anywhere close to the horn when you try it for the first time!
Thanks. I think I can do that.
I might even wire the relay in line with the old horn, just in case of failure of 1 or the other.
Just 1 question now.

How do I use the casting on the side of the horn to fix it?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Like I said, I drilled the metalwork of the van and used a hex head nut/bolt.

The hex head of the bolt I sat in the horn mount then tightened the nut on the opposite side of the panel.

It just kinda slides on!

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Sorry if i was not clear. I used the standard horn wiring and fixing mount. I then fitted the relay and a 15a fuse i think. It may have been a 20a.

I belive the idea of the mount on the horn is that the bolt head sits inside the casting 90deg rotated from the hole that is to small.

Hope I am of some help.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, right.
Fair play.
Just doesn't seem to be a good fixing to do that. In effect that is a clamping force in a high vibration area.
I'll have to give it some thought!T:

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally fitted it today!!
I found a horn with no connectiions (not powered) in the engine bay. It was fixed to the right hand (when viewed from the front) bolt mount for the expansion tank. I took it off & replaced it with the stebel. I fixed it through the hole with a M5 bolt & nyloc nut.
I used the original horn wires as the trigger wires on the relay. The plug is undamaged to the original horn. I have plugged some spade connectors to the horn plug. These wires are then threaded through a heat shrink sleeve & fed up into the void in front of the battery, where the relay is located.
It is fused onto the aux fuse board (ex AA) with a 20A fuse.
Tried it with the bonnet up, pretty loud. With it down, no change.
Happy bunny!!

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Nice, I am thinking of a 2nd one for a bit more volume.
But I havent used the single in anger yet.lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts