VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Found my first T4 to buy but it has a steel bulkhead fitted. Won't be needing this at all. I was wondering if anyone's removed one and what tools and how long it took.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mate loads of threads on here just do a quick search.

Failing that google it with vw t4 forum in the search n hey presto! I:

A few things to note, if you're using the grinder then cover the windows or they'll get pitted with the molten metal shards.

I think another one is to disconnect the battery.......something to do with heat belt per tensioners going off.

I'm sure the boys n girls will be along shortly to help chip in too. A:

For example try this one:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=158039&highlight=Bulkhead+removal

Hope this helps

·
Registered
258 Posts
Prepare to have a nervous breakdown :D

Mine had 46 separate welds in it. Carnage.

I used a drill to remove it. There's a special bit you can buy to remove spot welds fairly neatly. But you might fine, like me, that there's be several places where the bulkhead is welded with longer welds.
Case of keeping it as neat as possible, but making good after.
(Some people probably grind them off from the off)

I ended up doing all the making good, and then repainting afterwards.
But you'll have less to do if you intend to carpet any of the areas concerned. I wasn't carpeting.

You will need to grind off any remnants of welds afterwards, so cover up as much of the van trim as possible, and watch your seatbelt mounts - which can go off if they get a whack.

Took me near enough a day to get mine out. Then a couple of days of filling, sanding and painting afterwards, same time as I tackled other paintwork.
Worth it, but I won't lie - bar steward of a job to do....

Good luck T:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Balls! I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :eek:

I'll be insulating/carpeting so will this cover most if remnants? First T4 so go easy on me.;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Balls! I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :eek:

I'll be insulating/carpeting so will this cover most if remnants? First T4 so go easy on me.;)
You should be carpeting the areas where the bulkhead is fixed, I think. Which is good.
You'll still need to make good though, I think, any damage you make, and at least zinc prime and apply basic paint to any bare metal to stop it rusting under the carpet.
Obviously, it should be a lot easier going getting it filled and painted if it's going to be covered over with carpet. I've never carpeted a van (mine is a work panel van), but I'd imagine you'll still need to get the surfaces flat, so you'll probably need to do some filler and grinding.

I suspect, from reading other peoples' posts on here, that some bulkheads aren't welded in so comprehensively as mine, so you might find it's a bit easier to get yours out and make good.
I suspect I had a bad first experience with mine, and that the devil himself may have welded it in, on a day that he was in a particularly vindictive mood......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should be carpeting the areas where the bulkhead is fixed, I think. Which is good.
You'll still need to make good though, I think, any damage you make, and at least zinc prime and apply basic paint to any bare metal to stop it rusting under the carpet.
Obviously, it should be a lot easier going getting it filled and painted if it's going to be covered over with carpet. I've never carpeted a van (mine is a work panel van), but I'd imagine you'll still need to get the surfaces flat, so you'll probably need to do some filler and grinding.

I suspect, from reading other peoples' posts on here, that some bulkheads aren't welded in so comprehensively as mine, so you might find it's a bit easier to get yours out and make good.
I suspect I had a bad first experience with mine, and that the devil himself may have welded it in, on a day that he was in a particularly vindictive mood......
Haha! Yeah, knowing my DIY experiences I'd probably end up having similar problems.

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciated. I'll post up some pics as the transformation comes along.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had to do mine when i got it. Take the seat belts out, take the seats out.all really easy. cover all the dash and glass. then get drilling and grinding. take it out. linish down rough body, treat the bare metal, fill the areas,smooth over and paint,trim,carpet- whatever. Re fit everything. job done. now you can stretch out driving position. so much nicer.
Its easy to do just time consuming. good luck :ILU:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts