VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone else has heard about any problems with the steel rims on Transporter t5.

I am a taxi driver with the t5 lwb shuttle and was on my way from Newcastle to Manchester to pick up a fare to return back when on the outside lane of the M62 before junction 19 ( 1 mile ) i had a front drivers side tyre blow out. Fortunately i was able to control the vehicle and keep it straight. moving over to the hard shoulder safely and calmly. I drove along slowly to the sliproad to change the wheel.

When i removed the wheel i noticed that the inside of the rim had split and approximately 8 inches of metal 1 inch thick had been lost from the rim.

I got back to newcastle and showed the tyre fitters they said how much thinner the rims had become to save weight.
They said i should contact vw to say manufacturing fault. As there were no other marks on the rim and i know i have not bashed a kerb hard etc.

Today 3 weeks later the other wheel passenger side did exactly the same, but luckily i thought i had a nail in the tyre and proceeded to the garage to rectify it. The removed tyre had the same size gap 1 inch and this time 6 inches of metal missing.

Please note the white mark is actually mud on the bottom picture.
If anyone can help to say if they know of it happening to anyone else or it may of happened to them or prevent it from effecting anyone else, as others may not of been so lucky and could of caued my loss of life or other persons if the vehcile had gone out of control flipped etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they said they will send a report to technical enquiries ( warranty ) plus images to see if they will respond, but back wheels are ok at moment. tyres are correct michelin van 215 65 cargo tyres and continental cargo ones too. so they cannot blame tyres. So far they have asked how many times have you changed the tyre on them????

·
Registered
703 Posts
Blimey, that's not good. Glad you are ok and hope you get a satisfactory result from VW. Out of interest, what year is your van?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Once is incredible - twice is unbeleivable :eek: I'd be dubious of the batch of wheels its from and want them changed (i've a set of 3 you can have if you want them)

Steel does crack but its more common to bend - even it being whacked by the tyre changing machne or a kerb you'd expect it to take it or to just bend/buckle.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not really surprised when you consider the state of the good old british roads , no doubt they will blame it on potholes or poor driving

1 - 14 of 14 Posts