VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i know this has been discussed many times but this is driving me mad !!Anybody got any ideas??

Deep breath .......I have done the following in an attempt to cure this problem the van is a 1.9 2007 t32

The problem is steering judder through the steering wheel whilst turning at rest or very slow parking speeds .If you stand outside the van and observe you can actually see the wheel and tyre vibrating .As well as feel it through your hands when turning the steering wheel .But if you grap the spring as the wheel turns you can feel no vibration.

So I have done the following

New clutch ,dmf
New top suspension bearings
New drop links
New aux belt
New freewheel pulley on alternator
New steering cooler as the old one had a slight fluid leak (system refilled and bled )
New drivers side driveshaft and stub shaft
All these things have helped slightly... mainly curing the leak and bleeding the system .

Now what I have found today if you slightly take the weight off the front of the van the fault goes also if you jack up either wheel the fault goes :*:*And if you keep your foot on the foot brake the fault goes :*:*

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive got a power steering judder at parking/stationary speeds. VW told me that its a pipe that runs behind the engine (best seen from underneath) that has a broken bracket. Bought a new one from them and then found the pipe in question and got the missus to turn the steering wheel whilst I looked at the broken bracket and the whole thing vibrated. Im guessing that as the pipe isnt restrained when the pressure runs through it then it causes it to vibrate. Havent got round to fitting it yet but may be worth you having a look.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got a power steering judder at parking/stationary speeds. VW told me that its a pipe that runs behind the engine (best seen from underneath) that has a broken bracket. Bought a new one from them and then found the pipe in question and got the missus to turn the steering wheel whilst I looked at the broken bracket and the whole thing vibrated. Im guessing that as the pipe isnt restrained when the pressure runs through it then it causes it to vibrate. Havent got round to fitting it yet but may be worth you having a look.
Thanks for the reply and have heard of this before as a problem, and I know the bracket you are talking about but I have checked this and its ok .What I dont get is when you put your foot on the brake the fault goes away so by holding the road wheel still with the brakes the vibration is stopped ???

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply and have heard of this before as a problem, and I know the bracket you are talking about but I have checked this and its ok .What I dont get is when you put your foot on the brake the fault goes away so by holding the road wheel still with the brakes the vibration is stopped ???
Just read your post again .....the bracket I have checked is the one that holds the flex pipe as it comes from behind the engine and travels towards the cooler as looked from the front of the van on the rh side .Is there another one might have another look tomorrow .

·
Registered
560 Posts
any pics of said bracket please so I know what to look for ?

sorry but I have the same judder from mine too, would be good if its just the bracket and not the pump as it turns and drives spot on when moving :*

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right had a play with this today and whilst underneath the van with the steering wheel being turned by the other half I could see the flexiable pipe work shaking all over the place which is what the problem is and i guess by pushing the foot brake you hold the road wheels still and thus dont feel the feed back .

So the question is WHY..... I do appear to have 2 brackets one of which you can see if you take of the paasenger side road wheel off you can see where the power steering pipework starts to head towards the steering cooler and is held by a bracket bolted to the the top of the rack you can see it in the pic below

Now I did find another well sort of bracket come steady bracket as does not appear to have a fixing hole unless mine is broken .Its locatation if you are under the van on your back with your feet pointing towards the front will be on your rh side ie drivers side and is where the solid pipework from the steering box becomes flexiable see pic below

Hope all this makes sense to someone but i do know that the pipework should not be shaking like this.... now is this because the pump is not working as well as it should be or is the pipework not fixed as it should be :*:*

Took another pic whilst on my back showing the flexiable route over the subframe as i was there ........seem to spend a lot of time THERE

·
Registered
31 Posts
so just been and take a couple of quick pictures of the new part that I got from vw showing what it should look like and also of my broken bracket (not easy after an afternoon of drinking!!!)

SO this is the part vw sold me that has a bracket one side and something the other but no bolt hole so can only guess it slips into something.

And this is my broken bracket (if you can make it out) its on the passenger side behind the anti roll bar. Looking at your pics it doesnt seem as though yours is broken though.

This is now making me think you either have a different problem or mine is more than just the pipe! Need to get it fitted and find out!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello mate

Cant see your pics but " the something the other side "interest me I even found the parts list exploded view and still are none the wiser what it fits into as mine just seems to sit against the side of the steering column box , let me know how you get on mate :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have found a parts list as good as it is

The pipework that is shaking on the van is the return hose /cooling pipe which feeds the cooler before returning to the fluid reservoir .

The part of this pipe is the one MIKEP27 is going to change I think.......... but it appears to be in 2 sections looking on the van the section running along the subframe and the section as it comes upwards towards the cooler .Now does anyone know why there is a clip on the pipe just before it goes to the cooler and when felt it appears there is something inside the pipe held by this clip .Not sure if this make any sense at all .....does anybody know what this might be ...............the van is a 1.9

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anybody got an idea what this is...................yes I know its a clip on a hose but why is it there and on mine I can feel something inside the hose .Could it be some sort of inline filter ??????Somebody must know or is it just my van ....... its on the steering fluid return hose just under the coolant res. ...................somebody go and feel there pipe for me please .I:

·
Registered
134 Posts
i also have a judder on my van when turning the wheel at parking speeds. Its been like it for ages. When I first had the van i took it back to the dealers and they said a bracket had broken and they replaced it.... to be fair it made little to no difference. The situation gets better on new tyres. Logically the highest steering load will be while stationary so that is when the power steering will work the hardest. The PAS pump was changed at 57k just before I bought the van and it has juddered for the past 50k (now at 109k). Its never bothered me that much but I would like to get it fixed. I watch this thread with interest....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saga continues ,bought a new return pipe from VW today

Drained fluid, fitted new pipe refilled and bleed system .:(:(:(

Fault still there and out of pure anger I decided to cut my old pipe to see what was inside ,expecting to see some sort of non return or filter but no just a straight through metal ring ??????This is at the point of the clip in my previous post .

Still no idea of its purpose but when the fluid was all drained I noticed that inside the fluid reservoir bottle there is a very fine mesh filter .

It does look like it comes out and can be changed has anybody done this as it is on the return pipework and this is the pipe that is shaking when the wheels are turned .Comments please .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fixed my steering judder today. Turned out to be my coilover dampers sticking. I have been having problems with the coilovers being noisy so replaced them and no more noise or judder.
Easy way to find out if you have the same problem. Just remove the top nuts of front dampers then remove the plate it keeps in place and loosen the nut underneath. this will free up the damper to turn with the steering and if your problem if the damper the steering will turn smooth.

Hope this helpsT:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have the judder! when stationary ....i find that it goes away reduces when i turn the steering wheel while giving a few revs - it was suggested to me that it is the fan belt tensioner - waddeya recon?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey I had the judder at parking speed and screeching,
Yesterday I lost all powersteering so took it to my local garage and they said the auxiliary belt had come off, the pulley on the end of the alternator had knacked and bent the shaft so they fitted a new alternator and now my juddering has gone A:
Happy days :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also have the judder! when stationary ....i find that it goes away reduces when i turn the steering wheel while giving a few revs - it was suggested to me that it is the fan belt tensioner - waddeya recon?
I take it your van is a 1,9 if you can see the tensioner moving or the belt jumping then worth changing the tensioner or changing the alternator freewheel pulley .I have done both and it has made no difference hope you have more luck .

1 - 20 of 70 Posts