VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Has anyone tried changing there power steering fluid...? I'm sure I read once it should be done to prolong the life of the pump etc & stops them squeeling, maybe that could help the vibration issue too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys, I posted on this last night on another thread. I too had the same problem, horrible judder/vibration through the car when manoeuvring at parking speeds. Well yesterday I changed the old (50,000 mile) conti van tyres on the front of the car (because they were worn as hell rather than trying to fix the judder) and hey presto the juddering has vanished completely. It's like a new car! Amazing. I only noticed it when driving onto my driveway at home where it used to judder terribly. I nearly fell out the car in disbelief! Btw I have new Conti Vanco 200's and they are lovely to drive with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
About to change my orginal tyres for sportline 18s with Hanook tyres will let you know what happens .
Hi sorry to bump an old thread
But did fitting your new wheels and tyre fix your vibration problem?

I have just brought a 63plate t5 and Its got quite a bad vibration at parking speeds but fine generally driving.

Jason

·
Registered
723 Posts
Spray some belt slip on the auxiliary belt, apparently this drives the power steering pump and that caused shudder on mine. Also, check colour of fluid, should be green.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’m gonna try a power steering fluid change first to see if this makes any difference as the fluid looks a bit murky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 T5 1.9 (no air con) and have this judder issue with the steering, and some squeal on full lock. I tried a new power steering pump and a good flush, but this didn't change it much. Tensioner is working fine.

I checked the alternator pulley and it doesn't have a freewheel at all, just a regular fixed pulley. The alternator is aftermarket, fitted by previous owner.

My main question is, do some of the older T5s just not have this freewheel mechanism, or has it been incorrectly specified?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, all T5's have a free wheel on the alternator. If it does not have then its the wrong alternator. let me explain. Any engine, when idling does not rotate at a constant rate. on each compression stroke the crank will slow a little then accelerate on the firing stroke. So in effect it is going fast-slow-fast-slow-fast-slow etc. This fast slow motion is also fed through the accessory belt so it will be doing the fast slow thing as well, but because it is light it can follow this fast-slow (read accelerate-decelerate) motion without complaining. But as we know the belt is driving accessories. ie A/C, power steering idler pulleys and alternator. Water pump is driven by the cam belt mostly. now how are each accessory going to cope with the fast-slow. Well, the power steering pump innards are quite light and small in diameter so it has a small moment of inertia. Think of this as the resistance to changing motion. So the PWR steering can cope with fast-slow because it has a small resistance to changing it motion and happily joins in the fast-slow procession. The A/C compressor is much the same, happy to go along for the fast-slow ride. Now the alternator is a different thing. It has a heavy steel and copper rotor inside. The baby has a much larger moment of inertia and really likes to keep a constant speed and strongly resists the fast-slow procession. now it if was direct driven with out a one way clutch it would be being sped up with the compression stroke of the engine which pulls the belt tight. But when the engine slow for compression the alternator wants to keep spinning fast and overruns the engine pushing slack into the belt ahead of the alternator on the way to the crankshaft. But as the tensioner is behind the alternator it allows the alternator to have some of this slack and the tensions moves to comply with the alternators "request" belt. At low engine rpm the fast-slow pulse are quite intense so the tension attempts to keep the alternator happy suppling belt and gets into quite a noisey flap, vibrating away unmerrily. Now imagine in the alternator had a one way clutch, or freewheel clutch. When the crankshaft speeds up it pulls the alternator with it. When it slows down the alternator just keep on spinning fast and the clutch slips. The alternator does not ask the tensioner for some more belt the tensioner stays steady. All happy. So if your tensioner is oscillating excessively (there is always a slight movement, but very minor if all is good) and PWR steering sounds grinding, squealing, thumping and really sound like the front strut springs are skipping around in their seat because of seized or stiff top strut bearings, well, they might be. But if holding the front coils while some turns the steering for lock to lock does not indicate spring noises, raise the RPM to 1500-2000 and turn the steering again. It should be smooth, because the fast-slow pulses are now much faster plus they are smaller in amplitude and the belt is now not going loose-tight loose-tight (from the slack put into the belt by a locked one way clutch). Also, if your A/C compressor seems noisey at idle as well, but quietens with a few extra revs this points to a belt drive issue caused by a frozen alternator clutch. Note. On the t5 5cyl, the there is no belt. But they have clutches on the alternator and A/C compressor for the same reason, to take harshness out of the gear drive mechanism. So, don't overlook the alternator clutch trying to find power steering noises!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 09 T32 started doing the steering judder at parking speeds a while ago , today i checked my tyre pressure , 12 psi down on both fronts. Pumped up and problem solved. that'll teach me 😳

61 - 70 of 70 Posts