VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the most annoying sound when i drive.
Like a dry rubber barring with a shaft turning inside it. Dry metal on dry rubber.

Was thinking it was something with the power steering pump, and maybe some air trapped.
Jacked it up and turned to both sides, all the way, several times. No air came out and there was no noise.
tightened all clips to the pump.

when the wheels vas on the ground again, i tried to turn and the squeaking noise was back.

I get the sound when driving in a straight line, but it get worse when i turn to either side.

Tried to lubricate the bushings, no change.
I made sure the hose from the reservoir is´nt bend or in a tight spot. No change

Now i really dont know what to do.

Any good advice here ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had same problem on my t4 and its a mixture of pretty much all front arm bushes just ordered a full set of ebay £50

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had same problem on my t4 and its a mixture of pretty much all front arm bushes just ordered a full set of ebay £50
You got link ?
I might do the same.
Just get it done, and change all the old parts.

Mine is a 11Kw, 2001 caravelle, 2.5TDI

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Often you can get squeaky front suspension / steering just because its been dry, after a bit of driving in the wet it all goes quiet again.

OK it probably indicates that something is a bit on the dry side but it could simply be a rubber gaiter rubbing on a bit of no-longer lubricated steel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Often you can get squeaky front suspension / steering just because its been dry, after a bit of driving in the wet it all goes quiet again.

OK it probably indicates that something is a bit on the dry side but it could simply be a rubber gaiter rubbing on a bit of no-longer lubricated steel.
Im sure you are right, but were is the million $$ question.
But, cant the top carrier mount be the culprit ?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Im sure you are right, but were is the million $$ question.
But, cant the top carrier mount be the culprit ?
I would have thought it would be one of the joints where there is some weight/pressure there rather than those that simply push or pull.

My point was more, perhaps a quick splash in a puddle will save all those hours doing the various joints around the front steering and suspension. Of course you can still have a lever at them all to see if you have unwanted movement there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One of my upper ball joints produced a high-pitched 'bedspring' squeak when the rubber gaiter failed and it lost lubrication. The play in the joint only became apparent when the vehicle was jacked up and the load removed from the front torsion spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my upper ball joints produced a high-pitched 'bedspring' squeak when the rubber gaiter failed and it lost lubrication. The play in the joint only became apparent when the vehicle was jacked up and the load removed from the front torsion spring.
Well its been a few years since i replaced the upper ball joints, so i might just get that done and se whant happens.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts