VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to asking if anyone on here has had a similar issue.. inside the van when steering I get this odd noise?? Steering wheel isn’t rubbing anyway.. easy fix??

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it could be the clock spring/steering angle sensor perhaps behind the wheel 🤔 Can't say I've heard similar in mine.
Def that kind of area but no fails in electric or error codes which is what the clock spring does.. assume this part has a bearing in it that could make the noise?

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,907 Posts
That is a really odd noise. I'm well out of date but it's nothing I've ever heard. I see why 64 SPLIT suggests the clock spring but that ratchety noise is unusual. No lubrication would fix that. I think someone just has to start dismantling until they find the culprit. :unsure:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a really odd noise. I'm well out of date but it's nothing I've ever heard. I see why 64 SPLIT suggests the clock spring but that ratchety noise is unusual. No lubrication would fix that. I think someone just has to start dismantling until they find the culprit. :unsure:
Ya that’s my thought too… it does sound like it’s behind the steering wheel.. lubed the joints but they all look well lubed and clean! Not sure if it’s been there since owning and I’ve just noticed it more recently 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya adjusted steering column up and down and no difference to noise... its def something behind the steering wheel.. not sure if there is a bearing that sits on the clock spring as not much else to go wrong other than the electrics which are fine

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I had a similar noise from my old Toyota when turning the steering wheel. It turned out to be the sprung connector (brass) vibrating in the ring in the clock spring. It had black dirt on it that was grippy, making it judder. Cleaned it off, noise gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts