VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into removing my steering rack, the power steering fluid keeps going down and i keep topping it up. i've added a couple of tubes of wyyns stop leak, but it doesn't seem to be working. My plan is to get under the van to see if i can see where the leak is coming from whether it's from the rack itself or from the joins in the pipework somewhere.

I've read lots of posts about taking the rack out and i'm confident it's going to take a while, but i'm hopefull that i'll be able to do it myself. I have a couple of questions though:

Can i take the rack out without taking the wheels off? I have a couple of drive-on ramps which make access under the van simple. I'd prefer it if the job can be done this way, but if the wheels have to come off, then axle stands and chocks it is.

If the seals in the rack are beyond repair, is it a straightforward job to replace/refurbish them myself (don't know where to get new seals from, motor factors or main dealer?) or am i better off to get a recon unit, there's a place down the road from me that do them with free delivery for forum members apparently, so i might give them a ring.

I've got a trip booked for the easter weekend, so i'm looking to get the van all sorted before then (steering leaks, coolant leaks, ply-line and carpet, dashboard out and respray, things like that...)

Cheers,

Nathan.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
you are going to have to take the wheels off no way round it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's cool, it's what i was expecting but just wanted to double check. Chocks and axle stands it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts