VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some help on a item i cant find anywhere on line i have also put a video on youtube to see the universal joint on the bottom of steering columb has alot of noise and hitting the base of van? Any one had any advice?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
I think that's the joint which caused the infamous "clonk" on a lot of facelifts, isn't it? What caused it to start doing it? Just wear, or accident damage?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2008... never really noticed it but gettin alot of noise from steering now the ball joins seem of the cv joints r fine and the bushes all look good but just noticed this and didn't know if it was normal or not

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
Has it done a lot of miles? Personally, I'd change it, as the thought of it jamming somewhere and locking up the steering doesn't bear thinking about.

AFAIK there's no maintenance to be done on that type of joint, and VW's "fix" for the clonk was just to replace it.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
IIRC you can't get the joint on its own (from VW) - the whole of that section of the steering column needs to be replaced. Whether you can break it down smaller than that using parts outside VW I don't know.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't look here much because it's normally about lowering and other mods which aren't my bag. Bit late but the part in the video is (or used to be) called a steering coupling. It comes complete with a short piece of column as Triffic says. The infamous steering clonk was caused by this part but not because of excessive wear on either of the two universal joints. Yours has serious movement on the lower part and I absolutely wouldn't drive it in that state!

It would be worth a look underneath to make sure there isn't something wrong with the connection to the rack (usually a pinch bolt). Anyway, I hope you got it fixed ok.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts