VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, here we go.... basically i've got a 95 T4 which means the steering wheel is the 17mm spline and has no airbag... i've been tryin to find a boss kit for it but T4sRus dont sell them anymore. i've been hunting around and managed to find a trade dealership that has ordered me an adaptor to go on top which will make the spline bigger so normal VW steering wheels can go on (27mm i think) . now then, providing all goes well i'm hoping i can literally pick one i like and put it on? but i like the look of new steering wheels with the airbags, now i realise i'm not gonna connect it but is there anyway of jus leaving it disconnected, will it fail MOT or anythin having a airbag that doesnt actually work?

hope you can help :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i'm goin to pick it up tomoz but still not sure its gonna work but bloke there seems to think it'll work. getting it from TPS, its on industrial estate sort of behind bathwick tyres and poole motorcycles. TPS is basically a trade parts centre, apparently owned by breeze VW but like half the price :) costing me £8 +VAT. for that price its worth a shot ay! will update this thread as to whether it works or not. if ya need any more info then PM me mate.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Guessing here but how does an MOT inspector know if the airbag works or not?;)
Because when he turns the ignition on there should be a light on the dash if a car has an airbag, no light but an airbag in steering wheel means a fault somewhere in the SRS system but just explain that it's a different wheel and you should be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right then, i've had a nightmare of a day!! picked up adaptor for steering wheel today, put it on but it wouldn't go all the way on, then i couldnt get it off! after lots of swear words and the use of good old MC hammer, i got it off, henry papered and cleaned spline, then put some vasaline on spline and adaptor, managed to get it on using MC again. new steering fitted on that i got from trentys off and old golf, looks awesome now and nice to drive having smaller wheel but bit gutted tho cos by fitting the adaptor it stop the indicators from self canceling like pre 96 boss kits do. still its done now and will get used to self canceling. all in all i'm happy wiv the mod. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Because when he turns the ignition on there should be a light on the dash if a car has an airbag, no light but an airbag in steering wheel means a fault somewhere in the SRS system but just explain that it's a different wheel and you should be fine.
Good point....My car just went throught with the warning light on.I thought it would be a fail but MOT man said it was fine:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts