VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have been trying to work out for some time what the knocking noise coming from the front off side wheel is for some time now. It seems to knock when I am turning and the suspension compresses (when I hit a bump in the road etc...)
I am also noticing that the same tire has uneven wear. the outside of the tire is wearing much more quickly than the rest.

Since I am a little lazy and haven't had a lot of time to investigate this it has got progressively worse and now the steering wheel wobbles at 30 - 50 mph!!!

Has any one got any clues as to where to start looking for problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
What tires are you running? I've had two Michelin Agilis go out of round i.e. develop bulges on the tread face. The one on the front caused a bad steering vibration at certain speeds. My tyre place knew exactly what the problem was before I even described the symptoms - they've seen loads of these misshapen Michelins.

But ff you've got knocking as well then it's probably a joint as others have said.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you think its knocking more on turns, possibly a CV joint, try seeing if its worse turning one way on full lock than the other way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies.

I don't think it's a cv joint as it doesn't have to be on full lock to make the noise. I'm thinks it's something linked to the front suspension as it only does it when I go over a bump and it compresses.

Would a ball joint make the steering wheel wobble?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts