VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am in the market for a new steering wheel. My van is a 2001 T4 2.5 TDi model.
Mine currently does not have an air bag in the steering wheel.

On eBay I see lots of options for steering wheels advertised with wahat seems to be minus the face-plate part (not sure of technical term). Are these being sold where you're expected to find this part somewhere else or is it that they are not allowed to ship the part with air bag attached?

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I just bought a brand new leather steering wheel from ebay for 120 euros. The airbag has to be moved from my old wheel to the new one.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
That should not be a problem. Just clip on the faceplate and dont connect the wires.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
For example, I can't figure out if this https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/252173347615
will fit directly on to my 2001 T4. I don't want the air bag but I do want the full face plate.
So that is remanufactured leather covered the same as you have (not just the example shown, which is an early air bag wheel).

You let them know what wheel you have, keep all your bits, and you get one in back in leather. Then send off your wheel for deposit refund.

Are you saying you want to change wheel types then :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
The new wheel i got is identical to the one I have but in leather. I thought the leather wheels were thicker but it was not. I see the wheel in ebay is part alcantara and part leather.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying you want to change wheel types then :confused:
Nope. I didn't realise that I need to send back my wheel. My wheel is badly worn on the face-plate thingy. I'm looking for a new wheel really or an almost new wheel. Same as that one I linked to or same as my own.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
So that is remanufactured leather covered the same as you have (not just the example shown, which is an early air bag wheel).
The wheel shown in the ebay ad is the later type wheel. On the earlier airbag models, the horn buttons are part of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
The wheel shown in the ebay ad is the later type wheel. On the earlier airbag models, the horn buttons are part of the steering wheel.
I stand corrected Indian ............... I looked too quickly ............... I know what the older wheel is like too, been driving with one for the last 17 years LOL:

Back to OP, that is an exchange retrim. As has been said factory leather wheels do come up from time to time, just a case of keep looking. If you want that sort of work done in the UK: http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

My own wheel rim rubber is starting to ease away from the metal spine (sun does it on loads of older cars). I have a bottle of '480' and some hypodermic syringes, and will repair that pretty soon. Do fancy a leather wheel myself, and think I would fit a later one ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts