VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What methods of edging/finishing the step by the slide door have folk used? I've just laid lino over 9mm ply (on top of my load mat) and need some inspiration to finish it off. Went down B&Q yesterday but not a lot down there.

Any pics would be ace!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Take the sliding door plastic step cover out, lay the same thickness floor there & refit the plastic step cover, job done T:

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
I thinking he probably dos'nt have a step trim .

Make up a panel shaped to the door step in ply or ally and cover it with the same vinyl then a carpet edging strip mitred to fit the top would look ok T:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys...I do have a step cover but firstly the 9mm ply and lino (over the load mat) sits much higher now than anything the cover could meet....plus...somone told me that those covers are a pig to get back on once you've removed them cos the clips all snap (£40+ for a new one!)

So my thought was maybe some sort of 'L' shaped edge that covers the lip, I'm sure I've seen pics on here of peoples inventive ideas.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Cheers guys...I do have a step cover but firstly the 9mm ply and lino (over the load mat) sits much higher now than anything the cover could meet....plus...somone told me that those covers are a pig to get back on once you've removed them cos the clips all snap (£40+ for a new one!)

So my thought was maybe some sort of 'L' shaped edge that covers the lip, I'm sure I've seen pics on here of peoples inventive ideas.
its easy honest,just pop it out and put the same size thickness ply on the base of step to build up the height,put the side step back on,makes a much tidier finish

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its easy honest,just pop it out and put the same size thickness ply on the base of step to build up the height,put the side step back on,makes a much tidier finish
That's exactely what a friend suggested!! But I said that another had said that the clips were never gonna go back on!! Friends?? Who needs em!?

So it'll be no problem to fit it back on then?

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
That's exactely what a friend suggested!! But I said that another had said that the clips were never gonna go back on!! Friends?? Who needs em!?

So it'll be no problem to fit it back on then?
you can drill holes in the ply for the clips to locate back in to,i havent done this mines is just sitting in place as they are a tight fit anyway,you could always squirt a few dollops of silicone or sikaflex sealer just to stick it in place if you werent sure,no harm in trying

·
Registered
790 Posts
you can drill holes in the ply for the clips to locate back in to,i havent done this mines is just sitting in place as they are a tight fit anyway,you could always squirt a few dollops of silicone or sikaflex sealer just to stick it in place if you werent sure,no harm in trying
Ditto, mines been raised up to the same height then slid back in, theres a teeny bit of movement but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm am also looking at a way of doing this, I did the ply on the step on my old van and although it works and looks 'ok' there is then a gap that water sand and all the **** gets into, its not ideal. I heard there was a guy (Mr Plastic??) who makes steps with a higher lip? Is this correct and anyone got his details? done a search but can't find him though????

Cheers

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm am also looking at a way of doing this, I did the ply on the step on my old van and although it works and looks 'ok' there is then a gap that water sand and all the **** gets into, its not ideal. I heard there was a guy (Mr Plastic??) who makes steps with a higher lip? Is this correct and anyone got his details? done a search but can't find him though????

Cheers
Don't know if he does a step but this is the website for Mr Plastics

http://www.vwt4styleline.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
the clips are rubbish anyway, sika is your friend..
stick the wood to the metal with sika.
stick the step to the wood with sika.
paint the edge of the wood, black to hide it or body colour to match your van...

i must have spent >£100 on sika, the number of uses are amazin.. even replaced some failed masonry pointing with it the other week...A:

·
Banned
30 Posts

Cheers
mr plastics has left the forum after almost beating the **** out of Jimbo. Best not ask for any forum discounts.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the clips are rubbish anyway, sika is your friend..
stick the wood to the metal with sika.
stick the step to the wood with sika.
paint the edge of the wood, black to hide it or body colour to match your van...

i must have spent >£100 on sika, the number of uses are amazin.. even replaced some failed masonry pointing with it the other week...A:
Sounds ace...it must be like Gripfill then??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts