VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hoping someone can assist with bu tale of woe :(

Having purcased new door pockets, speaker baskets, new Alpine dash speakers, and new Kenwood's for the doors etc, I set about installation this weekend.

Door pockets, speakers, cable runs etc all completed with minimal trouble (but took aggeesss). Inital tests of the new speaker fitments all checked, and working (SO much better than the original paper items as standard!)....so only a few 'tidy up' jobs left to secure the new speaker cable to the door speakers in the darkest corners of the dashboard.... or so I thought..... :(

Whilst 'fiddling' at the back of the dash to cable tie the new speaker cable in place, the stereo (Sony, CD/Ipod thingy) suddenly 'died'. Having removed it from the dash, I noticed that the yellow (switched live?) lead, between the headunit and connector block that mates to the original VW harness, did not have the insulation cover fitted properly, and may(?) therefore have shorted to the chassis (I should have noticed this earlier...but excitement of new ICE was causing me to rush!)

So, checked the 10A fuse in the head unit. All OK. replaced it as a 'just in case', but still no joy.

Checked all fuses in the van. All OK.

Did a few 'experiments' with the headunit connections, and noted that when continuous power lead connected, the headunit CD mechanism can be heard to 'whirr/click' for a few seconds.... so power getting through, but no display on the removeable stereo fasia.

Next, fearing I had destroyed the headunit, I took it over to the nice men at 'Motor World', and they connected up to their store rig. IT ALL WORKED PERFECTLY!!

So, it looks like the van's switched live feed has stopped working(?), but I've no idea where to look, or what to check next to help get a diagnosis/fix. Everthing else in the van still works perfectly, so the gremlin seems to be isolated to the stereo connections.

Any ICE expectrs out there able to help please????

What can be worse than a load of new speakers...and no tunes to play?? Grrrrrr

·
Registered
2.5 TDI 88 AJT
205 Posts
Have you tested the switched feed with a multimeter?

that would clarify that this is the cause of your woe. then it's a simple case of tracing that wire back to it's origins. Can't help with this one, i'm afraid. would need more detail

vehicle year etc..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a multimeter...but can borrow one to check out the feed. The van is a T-plate ('99), just a regular van with no fancy electrics for windows, heaters, leisure battery etc etc.

Will report back once I've done some more checks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Borrowed a multimeter from work, and did some investigation at lunchtime!

Outcome as follows (all pin numbers refer to the original VW connector fitted to dash loom) :

- Pin 4 and Pin 8 (earth) : No 12V visible, either with or without ignition turned on

- Pin 7 and Pin 8 (earth) : 12V visible with and without ignition turned on.

So, Pin 7 not getting any power to it, but as per my original post, all fuses and other electrical parts are in full working order.

Does this help with a 'diagnosis'?

Cheers

Jason

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey fella, I am no sparky but I would check the obvious first, take the live off the cigarette lighter (given you know it works) and get the unit working, then track the defective switched live to the back of the fusebox (I believe its block 14 but I had to do mine a long time ago) VWs are prone for the switch live failing I know that much.

If you want to do it the other way use your multimeter on the fuse box and find a switched live first, then take it to the head unit and off you go, I am sure you will sort it, its just annoying when you have all the kit and it doesnt work
good luck

·
Registered
747 Posts
Borrowed a multimeter from work, and did some investigation at lunchtime!

Outcome as follows (all pin numbers refer to the original VW connector fitted to dash loom) :

- Pin 4 and Pin 8 (earth) : No 12V visible, either with or without ignition turned on

- Pin 7 and Pin 8 (earth) : 12V visible with and without ignition turned on.

So, Pin 7 not getting any power to it, but as per my original post, all fuses and other electrical parts are in full working order.

Does this help with a 'diagnosis'?

Cheers

Jason
I'd imagine you may have burn't out a relay. Which one?

·
Registered
2.5 TDI 88 AJT
205 Posts
I'll take a look at my van tonight and see what i can fathom out. will report back and see if we can't get your tunes working.

If you're close to hythe i could always take a look.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you tried the fuse above the fuseboard? if you go to the fusebox and drop it down, there is a 10amp fuse in there that goes... Worth a try mate....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thats the one Zmok........ had the same on my van, thought i had blew my new dvd headset...LOL:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A hidden fuse eh???

Will check this out tomorrow!!!! Fingers crossed the fix is as easy as this T:

Watch this space. I'll be a happy man if a fuse is all it needs to restore the music necessary to drown out the noise of my kids in the back I:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dropped the fuse box down (did not even kow that was possible until the hints from yesterday!)

BUT, still can't see any hidden fuse...just a mass of wiring/connectors :( Guess it is really well hidden H:

AARrgghhhh.

Any pics available of what I am searcing for? I was expecting another blade fuse, similar to the ones in the fuse fox, but is it an in-line type? :confused:

Cheers (again!)

·
Registered
659 Posts
To get it to work for now you can just connect both switched and permanent live to the permanent live feed, the stereo will work fine but youll have to remember to turn it off manually, I agree with the others that you must have blown a fuse on the switched live side, however if you cant trace it you can maybe run another in as you should be able to find another switched feed that is unused on the fuse box if you test out a few connections with a multimeter.

·
Registered
2.5 TDI 88 AJT
205 Posts
A thing to remember is this is not an ordinary switched live.

This particular one remains until the key is removed from the ignition.

If this fuse can not be found then you can take one of the other switched lives, and wire the stereo to it, but the stereo would then turn off when you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
2.5 TDI 88 AJT
205 Posts
Any joy with this yet mate?

Can i make another suggestion, there is a red/brown wire that cones direct from the ignition.

It may be worth taking the cover off the steering column and checking that the live output from this is working correct.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've not been able to do any 'debug' over last couple of days....work getting in the way :(

Will have another look tomorrow and report back. Thanks to all for help so far.... a learning experience for me! I:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
there is no hidden fuse but what youve done is blown the accessorie circuit in the ignition. its the plastic bit the plugs into the back of the ignition barrel. they are a bit of a pain to fit but only around £20ish from the dealers. but make sure they know its just the switch and NOT the barrel you need.

of course this is providing that i have read it properly and you have no ignition live when ignition is turned on. if it is your ignition switch and you have later dials or a clock then this will reset whenever you turn the ignition off.

hope that makes sense and helps a bit. T:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts