VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, every time I try to search for the answer to my questions it just takes me to a blank page...so sorry if this has been asked a million times before!

I have managed to remove the rear badge, and happened to break it in the process, DOH!
I have ordered a new one that should arrive tomorrow. I want to know how to remove the silver bit from the rear black bit so I can put a round sticker on and then replace the silver vw bit?

Also, there is this circular black glue pad/mess left on the back of the van, how can I remove this, and do I need to replace it with a new one (whatever it is).

Finally, how do I place the new finished badge back on the van? Is it the black sticky pad thing that I need or do I have to glue it on somehow?

What tools do I need to do all of this? Which glues, cleaning products etc?

Help please! The back of my van now looks a complete and utter mess and I am so OCD about my van that I may not sleep until I can get this done!

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Firstly if you flip the badge over you will see some small tangs, using a trim tool gently pry the front from the back. You will feel it give and then just very gently work your way round.

To get the gunge off the back try some nail varnish remover or paint thinners. Panel wipe may do it but the thinners will be a lot quicker. Once removed give it a wipe with meths or again, panel wipe.

To reinstate the badge, use 3M double sided tape making sure you get it both central and level!

It's a piece of cake if you are gentle.

However, if you have ordered a new badge, the chances are that it will come with a 3M pad already attached, so you might find this blocks the tangs and you may have to remove it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice!

When you say use a trim tool, what does this mean? I have no idea what that is (sorry).
Do I need to work my way around the outside or pry the tangs off?

And hopefully you won't think I am completely stupid if I ask for clarification on the meths part. Does this mean methylated spirit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Trim tools available from any decent car / tool place:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-car-trim-removal-kit/

Yep, work from outside, you may break a couple but there are plenty to keep it together and you can always weld it or bond it back if you are too rough handed! Just be careful not to split the actual badges.

If you use nail varnish remover first, it is a solvent based cleaner and will melt he glue to allow it to come off. The methylated spirits or panel cleaner is just to clean off any solvent residue. Another method is to warm the glue with a hairdryer but I used the solvent way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice. I'll have to head out tomorrow and see if I can get what is needed.

Great site and great advice, much appreciated, thanks again.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Use a hair dryer to heat up the black sticky pad when removing it - it'll soften the glue and come off/clean up much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts