VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a small problem that I want to check with anyone in the know (to do with my van before anyone points me to my nearest GP ;)

My '97 1.9TD T4 has an intermittent starting problem that seems to be getting slowly worse. The symptoms are that sometimes I turn the key and everything does what it should (glow plugs do their job, light goes out and the starter motor spins up the engine and I'm away). Increasingly frequently I turn the key and the last bit with the starter motor doesn't happen. I can hear the motor spin but it doesn't engage and spin the engine over. I have to keep trying it over and over till it engages.

From looking over the other posts on the forums I think I need to take the motor off and clean up the contacts and make sure that the shaft with the cog on it is clean and suitably lubricated. Is this right or am I looking at a case for replacement?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

PS. Great forum here. I think I'm going to enjoy getting back into the VW fold (I used to have a Bay but then lapsed into Land Rovers and Jags for a couple of years but I'm better now :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum.
I have just had the same problem on my jetski. I took ther starter motor out, cleaned the shaft and lubricated with WD40, all is good now.
Give it a try you have nothing to lose.T:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Purpleclimber

I have exactly the same problem with my 1997 1.9TD, it only happens occasionally but has started to occur more often and at the moment it works on the next turn of the key.

I would be very interested if anyone has a detailed description of how to cure this problem
Cheers

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cover it in WD40 and if it's stuck hit it with a hammer (seriously) when trying to turn the engine over. If it's really stuck stick the van in gear and get people to rock the it forwards and backwards to unstick it. Failing that ... get a new stater motor :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi Purpleclimber

it only happens occasionally but has started to occur more often and at the moment it works on the next turn of the key.
Ditto until tonight. Must have taken at least 20 turns of the key before the b:*d starter came to life! Peed me right off. My starter is pretty sorry looking though so I think it is on it's last legs. The problem does seem to be electrical though, once it does spark the starter turns the engine over no problem. It's in the garage next week for other works so I'll get them to have a look.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Take the wires off the starter motor and clean the contacts.. they oxidise and creat a poor connection.. otherwise your starter could be on its way out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas folks. I think I sorted it out by taking the motor off squirting some WD on the main shaft and then putting it back on. The contacts were pretty clean and it didn't look dirty inside but it seems to work at the moment. If it goes again then I'll get a new one on there but for now I think its OK. I'm still going to park on a hill just in case for the next few days though ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts