VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon fellow T4er`s,

I was wondering whether anyone else has across a stiff gear change from 5th gear to 4th gear?

I recently bought a 2002 T4 2.5 and whilst the gear change is fine for all the other gears it is stiff when changing down from 5th to 4th [it is fine changing up from 4th to 5th gear].

The problem is worse after a long journey although not too bad when the vehicle hasn`t been used for a few days.

I did take it to the dealership but as the engine was fairly cool they couldn`t find fault. Of course when I drove it home it started again!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
First trick is to get underneath and give the linkages a decent clean and a re-grease...especially the linkage box immeadiately beneath the gearstick.

Next trick is to consider a gearbox oil swap. After that....you perhaps have issues with the syncro betwixt 4th and 5th...which'd mean a gearbox removal...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

Did you manage to resolve the problem with the above actions? My T5 does exactly the same thing. It sticks in 5th gear and sometimes just reluctant to come out of 5th. Only after 3-4 attempts. Only happens sometimes and hard to describe the conditions when it happens. It has has a new clutch and dual mass wheel but worked fine after this for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.