VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my heater temp dials the other day as mine had the common broken arm fault.

Now everything works again which is good however my temp dial seems to be very stiff. I used to control the temp by the lever under the bonnet so it shouldnt be to stiff.

Are they normally pretty stiff of have I got something else to fix?

It feels like im going to break the dial each time I use it.

Many Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is annoying. Ive lasted 7 months with a broken dial and now its fixed and I want to use it I still cant :(

Wondering if this is a common problem or if they are stiff anyway it would be why they break in the first place.

Can you change the cable?

Ive got a 2 year warrenty on the dials as i bought them from the stealers, so if they break they should be covered hopefully.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I find on mine that if you try and change it when the blower is going full it is very hard to turn but turn the blower down and it moves far easier ????

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Changed my heater temp dials the other day as mine had the common broken arm fault.

Now everything works again which is good however my temp dial seems to be very stiff. I used to control the temp by the lever under the bonnet so it shouldnt be to stiff.

Are they normally pretty stiff of have I got something else to fix?

It feels like im going to break the dial each time I use it.

Many Thanks

Ed
Hi Ed,

You need to change the cable too!

It is the stiffness of the cable that breaks the control arm. The cable is not a normal type cable it is basically a solid flexible thin rod and if it gets kinked for any reason it will become stiff, too stiff for the control arm to deal with.

You will understand when you put an old cable next to a new one, and feel the resistance.
Hope that helps.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
229 Posts
definately change the cable !!! and oil the new one before you put it on i also gave arm on the water pipe a generous dose of wd40 just for good measure !!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys ive gone an ordered one today so should be here friday :) hopefully it makes the difference.

Out of intrest how hard is the cable to change?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
what did you replace the unit with - a T4 specific?
where did you order the cable from - dealer?

I've started so I'll finish so you may answer........................

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evening.

Replacing it with a VW part from the stealers. It came to under £8, I ordered it but sadly crimbo has effected the stocking time a tad and then I wasnt in Hereford on the friday so missed it. hopefully picking it up tomorrow or wednesday if they are open.

Planned my attack and the hardest part seem to be getting the cable free from the controls itself. I normally use pure man power and just pull it but im sure there is a more sensible way of doing things.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ooh let us know how it goes, as my recently acquired van had the control panel hanging out and the cable disconnected from the dial. PO just used to pull the lever for heating, but it's very stiff. So I've bolted it back in for now on hot. But I'm guessing I will need new dials and cable? :-/

·
Registered
20 Posts
ive put 3 different ones from breakers on mine and have now given up,instead i got an after market choke cable ,cut the wire of it and welded the original wire from the heater control to it.it was positioned on the facia below then heater unit.a mk 3 golf and i think a mk2 polo units are virtualy the same,you do need to change the inside cog that controls the temp.hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
As an add-on to this thread,I want to replace my heater control with a new one I got from a breaker as one of the arms had broken .Do the cables just pull up out of the mounts on the heater unit They look as though they will do this but seem very stiff.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ooh let us know how it goes, as my recently acquired van had the control panel hanging out and the cable disconnected from the dial. PO just used to pull the lever for heating, but it's very stiff. So I've bolted it back in for now on hot. But I'm guessing I will need new dials and cable? :-/
I will let you know soon how it goes as VW should be getting the part in for tomorrow. The part I ordered a while ago was was for the wrong van so sadly it had to go and with crimbo and new year its delayed everything.

As an add-on to this thread,I want to replace my heater control with a new one I got from a breaker as one of the arms had broken .Do the cables just pull up out of the mounts on the heater unit They look as though they will do this but seem very stiff.
well ive just been pulling them out straight up and the clips have not broken and all is good but yes they are very stiff and it will expensive if it breaks. When they go in the actually drop in and then slide back into the clips. Ive tried to pull them forward and I began to run out of skin on my knuckles and room in the dash for my fat hands. when doing it each cable has a different colour so might be worth taking a photo to help you get them back in the right place as it will save you 15mins of fiddling.

Turn all dials so they point straight up before you take them off and turn the dials the same on the new one and that way you know everything in in sync.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts