VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the first time in ages I look under my van and low and behold somebody as 'borrowed' my spare wheel. I have no idea where / when this was done but am I right in thinking that this is getting to be a common occurance?

So is there any way (other than keeping the wheel in the back) of making the nuts or bolts more secure or is it a case of if they want the wheel a few locking bolts wont stop them.

Thanks

Pete

PS - anyone got any steel wheels they want rid off. I might have to stock up if Im living in a wheel theft hotspot grrrrrrr!

·
Registered
317 Posts
that sounds annoying this to say the least, I've looked at the way mine is attached, it has two bolts of which one on them is loose and spins, is this some kind of security or just broken?

I've heard of some using a locking wheel nut, so might try something like this as prevention

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it a bit of a pain. Looking on the bright side I am glad I noticed it before I needed it. From posts on the internet it seems to be quite common these days. So I might just see if I can get a set of someones cast off steelies and keep them in the garage for emergancies. Im kind of reluctant to buy a brand new wheel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've fitted a thick bike lock exteder from halfords threaded it through the wheel and padlocked it to the towbar. At least it will slow them down.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i was working in manchester last week was in the house for no longher than 20 mins came out and yep no spare wheel.
think its acase of what ever you do it will only keep an honest man out...

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
I got a locking wheel nut on my spare but it just means carrying another but key. It beats waiting for recovery

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I must have had 250 spare wheels nicked
Every Sportline I get seems
to have theirs stolen be VW before I get it I:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Two Suggestions, as there are 2 Bolts to drop down the Carrier, swop one for a different size Bolt head and keep the correct socket in your van, or use Stainless Allen Bolt, chances are the Mongrels won't be on the rob with a COMPREHENSIVE Tool kit!T:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
We had ours stolen.

I've read that if you make life more difficult by fitting the Vw locking nut or similar, they just break the carrier on the other side causing you to be even more out of pocket. :(

·
Registered
925 Posts
Every Sportline I get seems
to have theirs stolen be VW before I get it I:
I thought Sportlines didn't have a spare, just a repair kit. Maybe thats why none of the ones you get have a spare?!

We had one stolen. The locking bolt seems to deter the casual thieves, but not the determined ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I recently had my spare wheel stolen and it had the locking bolt from VW fitted (the one with the spinning out side ring. All they done was to hook of the ring and grip the bolt. I think a shot gun is the best solution.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you not lower your van that much that its physically impossible to drag it out from underneath! Or you could use a jack!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't believe it... I was reading this, go outside to check under my van and the bleeding spare wheel has gone !!!!!!!! :bhd:bhd:bhd

1 - 20 of 40 Posts