VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so ive had the van for 5 weeks now so time to get started i suppose
van- 2006 t5 2.5 tdi 130
the van came with 20" range rover alloys so cant complain saved a good bit of cash there also the start of a de badged grill still need to get the bonnet filled

pretty clean and a good blank canvas to start with

first things first lined the outside with Airtec Double Insulation foil, i used heat resistant spray glue from a well known company on the forum (not sure if i can mention names or not) but they know who they are. service was superb A:

i made sure every nook and cranny was covered and sealed to ensure no loss of heat. some may say it's a little bit over kill but better safe than sorry later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
so all the outer layer is done time for some insulation,

for this i used space blankets Wickes had a special offer buy 1 get 3 free

didn't like the idea of all that foil sitting to close to the electrics and heating up so i left a little gap between the insulation and the lights

for the top panels i split the blankets took some layers of and re sealed the bag wasn't 100% sure if they would fit once they expanded

then once that's was done i covered the lot with another layer of Airtec Double Insulation foil to seal it all in

while that was all happening i ordered these from flee bay. nice price and fit well on the centre caps to hide the ugly range rover badge ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That sure is gonna be a warm van!!! Nice colour too, don't see many around like it, it reminds me of the 90's pastel colours. Keep the pics coming :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so bit of a busy weekend in regards to working on the van. flashband on the arches and started to carpet the metal work

wheel arch done, overall really happy with the result superb material to work with and very forgiving thankfully

made a start on the metal work by covering any holes with aluminium tape bit time consuming but better safe than sorry

so majority of interior metal work carpeted, im wanting to keep the panels separate for now for easy access behind should i need to.

next step panels carpeted and ready for fitting, it was a bit taxing cutting out window but hopefully worth it in the end

you have to forgive the quality of the pictures taken on the mobile whilst on the move

still not 100% sure about the window cut out but time will tell easy enough to just take it out should it require

time for the roof i haven't insulated it yet because i want to see what space is available between the roof and the outer shell onviously taking into account the lights

im going to use these, got them on Sunday from Wickes just need a little trip to Maplin for a regulator and then a quick look on flea bay for a switch system

wasn't happy with the location of the factory fitted lights so ive decided to centre them and keep it all in-line (OCD is a terrible thing)

i used the pieces id cut out to fill the old holes covered one side with tape then sealant on the other before covering with more tape

so all carpeted and ready for a quick look at lighting

pretty easy job just measured the roof recess and worked out the best place for the lights (the lights have a 3cm height so not really ideal) but it worked out ok.

im looking at having 20 led's and a 2 switch system 10 to each switch

just a wee sneaky peek to see how they look (forgive the picture quality)

all in all been an eventful few days but hopefully get more done once i sorted out the flooring. managed to obtain an over sized 12mm marine ply from a local timber merchant not too bad a price either it was that big i couldn't fit it in the van so delivery it is then.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so it that time again to update the progress.
started on the rear doors, lined the exterior with thermal wrap then a layer of space blanket and then another layer of thermal wrap i had to split the blanket and re seal it to fit into the top panel :D

once both doors had been insulated i did what some may see as a mortal sin :eek:
(carpeted the ers) i know its frowned upon due to seal issues but i made sure i cut it just shy of the seal
they open and close just fine so far and we've had some proper pooh weather up north since and all is well T:
mind it was a bugger getting the interior handle to fit back in place. nothing a hammer couldn't solve A:

still needs a bit of a clean and trim in places but just purely for cosmetic reasons

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
floor timeT:

so ive seen so many people go on about batons etc. i thought id make use of my solid wood flooring left overs and funny enough they where the perfect thickness to match the ridges in the original floor T:
i left a gap between the right hand arch and the baton because im wanting to introduce a 240 hook up at some point and i see alot of people have put it under the rear bumper and then ill run the wire under the floor to the front of the van.
im not going with the usual full side wall kitchen units route im going to put a unit across the back of the front seats im sure there will be a smev going in somewhere but as yet not 100% decided where

my intention is to insulate between the batons at some point but for the moment ive used the thermal camping roll mats that are available from a well known outdoors store I: (cheap too) my intention is to glue the mats straight onto the ply floor before i put it in but as you can see from the picture this doesn't really need to be done. ;)

next was lining the roof,
due to the LED's there aint much room between the roof and the head lining so again ive used roll mats as above and glued them straight to the roof and used aluminium tape between them. real easy job just spray, stick and trim (sharp Stanley blade is essential)
once the interior roof is up i can get a better look at space etc and sort some more insulation for extra warmthT:

ive got a bit further but haven't had time to take photos as yet but new camera arrived today so hopefully some better quality pictures in the future

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hi looking good mate T:

Did you use 12mm ply in the end?:
I thought 12mm is what i needed but just ripped up my floor and it looks like 8-9mm in battons....i dont think 12mm will go under the plastic door steps , mines allready got the deeper ones as its a shuttle.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Hi looking good mate T:

Did you use 12mm ply in the end?:
I thought 12mm is what i needed but just ripped up my floor and it looks like 8-9mm in battons....i dont think 12mm will go under the plastic door steps , mines allready got the deeper ones as its a shuttle.

Cheers

Steve

9mm packers between the ribs and a 12mm ply floor plus 2-3 mm vinyl work outs perfectly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yo mate, Any progress?
Would like to see what you have done with the units behind the seats as i would like to do the same in mine. Did you have to make the units with a slant on the back due to the seats leaning back?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Love the colour of your van, your making a nice job of the interior aswell :ILU:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts