VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....Well I bought my '97 T4 2.5TDI only 2months ago and had some issues with starting it after a month...so I replaced the starter motor and ignition switch loaded her up and drove to southern France. Alas broke down again in Lyon and magically met a mechanic who striped out the starter motor on the side of the road and confirmed that it was working but noticed that two teeth had fallen off the fly wheel....hence the starting problem was only intermittent....I limped the rest of the way to my destination and now have it at a mechanics (recomended by a friend) who says my turbo is also broken...(around 900euros....agghhh!) He is also concerned because the van is using alot of coolant and once after very heavy start\stop traffic in the UK it pour loads of white smoke out of the exhaust.....I had this checked out by another mechanic who said that it looked like the head gasket had been changed as the rubber looked relatively new (but this was the same guy who changed the starter motor and didn't notice the fly wheel)....I paid 2000 for the van and am thinking maybe a re-conditioned engine is the way to go? Any suggestions or recomendations would be greatly appreciated! Need help asap....Anyone know how much a decent recon. engine goes for? How much delivery to french/spainish border would be? Many thanks in advance.....A stranded traveler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts