VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 1995 vw t4 with an 1,9td engine. I have recently changed the whole engine and i am having such a problem as when i start driving the coolant level is on minimi and when i have drived about half an hour and stops the coolant level has rised to well over max level. Any thougths of what could be the issue the car runs a liitle bit hot too, (a little bit over half on the temp gauge) i have changed the thermostat and i have fresh coolant in the car and getting good heat in the cabin also no white smoke or exhaust smell in the expansion tank and the oil looks good too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Isn't that normally how the expansion tank works? The level rises when the engine is hot and lowers once the engine is cold.

What happens if you fill the coolant to the max level when the engine is stone cold?
If it falls back to the same level overnight then that's ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but i dont think it should rise that much, also even if its cold the level wont drop until i start the car and rev it quite a lot

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the opposite issue where the level would start high and then during use go down loads. That turned out to be an air pocket getting chased around. Could be an air pocket displacing coolant into the expansion tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is a possibility. Did your car run a little bit too hot also during driving? I think i will try with a vaccum bleeder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i tried bleeding the system with a vaccum bleeder i also changed out the water pump at the same time but still i have the same issues? Car running too hot (temp gauge goes to the first mark over middle when driving 100km/h) and coolant level rising. Any one having any ideas of what to do next?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd go with the airlock theory. Did you open the coolant bleed screw whilst filling? Have you flushed the coolant system? If you did, did you check water has got to the top of the radiator. Blocked radiator cores restrict coolant flow.
Flush one way then the other.
It might sound daft but have you made sure you connected the coolant hoses correctly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay does anyone have a diagram of how the hoses should be connected, i have connected them the way they seems to fit best. Yes i had the coolant bleed screw open while filling the coolant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had similar with an old diesel Astra, if you run the van and park it up over night is there still pressure when you open the header tank lid?
Mine was still under pressure after sitting for 8 hours, turned out to be the head gasket had gone between exhaust and water jacket, i was also loosing coolant as it over pressurised the header tank when on a long journey.
Hopefully nothing as sinister as that but may be worth a sniff test if you are loosing any coolant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A small amount of pressure maybe there in the morning, but im not loosing coolant either. Is ther any possibility that the heater core could have sam fault?

·
Registered
120 Posts
You should buy a cooling system pressure test kit ,available online and pressurize the system and see if it holds pressure .It should hold pressure .Your symptoms of over heating and a big rise in the coolant level seems to me like a leaking cylinder head gasket ,as Colin 1484 above suspects . A cooling system pressure test is required .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts