VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, one for the electrical experts. i've got an annoying problem with my driving lights. with the ignition on if i switch on the headlights, only the front lights come on. the rear lights, number plate lights and dasboard dimmer do not come on. if i turn the ignition switch off and put my indicator on, the lights all work as they should. i tried another headlamp switch from the breakers yard and it did the same. any ideas before i buy a brand new switch. gutted as mot in a few days. ta

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
have a look under the steering binicelbeside the fusebox theres a main junction where its a common earth check there also checl main body earths and earths to lights as I reckon you have a high resistance in one of your earths no did I say check your earths T:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok had a look at the earths and they all look fine. A friend suggested it could be a faulty ignition switch. Anyone think that could be worth checking. Ta

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i changed my ignition switch and lights still not working. guess my next step is to buy a new headlight switch just incase the one at the breakers was faulty too. not holding my breath on this one though. this is the only problem i've had and not been able to solve straight away. looks like it may be a visit to the garage:(

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Sounds like it could be a relay
You are getting a feed via the indicators with the ignition off due to the indicators switch operating the park lights
This why your getting a feed when they are operated
I will be honest thou im not quite sure which one transfers the indicator switch back to an indicator switch from the park lights
Also Have you checked the wires at the rear of the headlight switch to see if theres any bad conections / loose wires
And i take it you have checked all the fuses .
Sorry this is not much use but it would be a lot easier to look and fix than try and offer advice through a keyboard .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I didn't think about the relays. Don't suppose you know which one it is. Yes I've checked all wires going to the switch and they seem fine. I'll start my research on the relays for now. Thanks again .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well anyone interested in this, I got it sorted and it turned out to be the headlight switch. What are the chances of getting one from the breakers with the same problem. Strange eh? Anyway I took the back off the switch, cleaned it up put back together and bingo all working as it should again. Think I'll order a new switch to be safe. Ah well happy again. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts