VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got a T5 Kombi 1.9 2004, there is a very strange humming noise, a bit like when a speaker is turned right up with no music on, its coming from the dash, it stays the same when reving up and driving, ive got the steering wheel judders too could it be related?
Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
We had a humming sound that sounded like it was coming from the dash on our T5 05 plate, i said it sounded like a pump that might be staying on as it was making the sound all the time we were driving and didn't sound like it was coming from the engine. Took in to the vw dealer who said it was the flywheel/clutch so replaced them it still made the sound when we got it back, so in it went again! Then they said it was the water pump replaced it and touch wood it's been fine, good job we didn't have to pay for it we had only had it 3 months. See even a woman has more idea that a vw dearler :D.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a humming sound that sounded like it was coming from the dash on our T5 05 plate, i said it sounded like a pump that might be staying on as it was making the sound all the time we were driving and didn't sound like it was coming from the engine. Took in to the vw dealer who said it was the flywheel/clutch so replaced them it still made the sound when we got it back, so in it went again! Then they said it was the water pump replaced it and touch wood it's been fine, good job we didn't have to pay for it we had only had it 3 months. See even a woman has more idea that a vw dearler :D.
Hi,
Thats sounds like it could be it, it did seem much quieter this morning, how much did the water pump set you back? Ive only had mine about a month and im paranoid about all these problems they seem to have :(

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hi,
Thats sounds like it could be it, it did seem much quieter this morning, how much did the water pump set you back? Ive only had mine about a month and im paranoid about all these problems they seem to have :(

Sorry i don't know as it was just in the warranty so didn't have to pay. Our's didn't get quieter it got worse but it does sound like the same sound as ours and you could hear it more if you put your head down towards the floor by the gear stick, and the humming like speakers without the radio sounds very much like what our's sounded like. We are now also paranoid about every little noise as the warranty has run out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mate. I have the same noise also nd just about tobook it in. Did you get yours sorted mate? and how much lease? My noise is fairly intrusive once the engine is hot so sound s likely tobe pump. I was thinking that it was the air intake fan myself!

Either way fella please let me know whats happened with yours TA

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Skybie

please elp I have the same issue. Sounds exactly as you describe. Has this been resolved now then, with the water pump. Mine has no warranty! so could do with some help in identifying the issue. Local garages and VWFactory have no ideas.
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Skybie

please elp I have the same issue. Sounds exactly as you describe. Has this been resolved now then, with the water pump. Mine has no warranty! so could do with some help in identifying the issue. Local garages and VWFactory have no ideas.
Cheers Chris
Hi,
Ive not resolved it yet, my brother works for VW and says some vans have the pump mounted on a metal bracket which vibrates making the noise, but it needs to go into the garage to find out for sure, my van still makes the noise but im planning on getting it looked at next month when its MOT is due. I dont think its too expensive to get replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've recently bought a T5 Reimo Legacy and also sometimes get what sounds like a buzzing noise coming from behind or underneath the dash. Doesn't seem to affect the running at all, and is not on all the time.

Any thoughts other than the above?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had the same thing on a van recently, it turned out to be the cargo net on the dash, stuffed a pair of gloves in and its fixed, cheap as chips:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
thanks for that i tried a pair of gloves but no joy, do you think i should risk putting my hat in there as well LOL:
on a serious note has anyone come across this and fixed it thanks

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
If I remember correctly a few of the earlier t5 suffered with vibrations emanating from under the passenger seat, a kind of buzzing, a cotton reel mount needed to be fitted this cured it, was it the lift pump vibrating I can't remember exactly

·
Registered
601 Posts
thanks dazboi but what is under the seat that would vibrate, i have had a look under the van in the past and looks like an oil cooler type rad ,what is a lift pump

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
It's been a while since we did one, I'll speak to my mastertech tomorrow and see what he says

1 - 20 of 26 Posts