VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I'm driving along with my windows open I can hear a strange "pfft" noise. At first I thought it was my wind deflectors so tokk them off - noise still there. Then I tought it was something caught in my Moon Discs - took them off, cleaned them, ran withut them and its still there.

It sounds like its on the wheel because it speeds up and slows down as the van does and is not there when I'm stationery. For example when I'm rolling to to a junction to stop it goes Pfft......pfft.....pfft..... speed up it goes pfft..pfft.pfft.

Is there a way I can get the sound up so that it can hopefully be clearer to understand than "pfft"?

Or has anyone got any ideas on where to start looking for the source?

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
nothing on the tyres like a bulge or tread deforming????clip on cv boot??take it to an mot station and put it in the brake rollers that way you can stand at the side of van and listen and turn steering etc

·
Registered
505 Posts
bet it's a tyre. Had the same, used the spare to go round taking each tyre off and putting the spare one, found it was a back nearside one. Tyre place said it's common.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys but I think I've found out what it is.
I thought I'd ran it with out the discs at one point, but after asking my girlfriend - she told me I only cleaned them and put them straight back on.

So I jacked it up, put it on stands and spun the wheels without discs - no noise - well just the usual noise of the wheel spinning and the transmission etc turning (which I am told is normal) - not a loud as with the discs and you really had to put your ear in the arch to hear it. I checked everything over, nothing lose, nothing broke (that I could see) and the brake discs were straight and wearing evenly.

Ran it without the discs for a day and low and behold - NO NOISE

Discs back on NOISE

So from that I am deducting that the Moon Discs are acting as an amplifier to all the tiny little noises that the van makes normally when driving, and I've noticed it more recently because I've been driving a lot more with my windows open because of the hot weather.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was half way through reading this, when you said you had run it without discs for a day and was having hot sweats........ until I realised you meant moon-discs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts