VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me up the wall.

Hearing a tappety noise from the front of the engine, when the engine is up to temp.

Over the last 18 months I've replaced the alternator for new, then had the constant squealing from the belt until the engine warmed up. I had issues with the water pump (Which I suspected was causing the squeal) so I replaced that about 2 months ago along with new auxiliary belts, which solved the squeeling issue.

However, since I've done this, I'm getting a ticking sound from that area, only when it gets hot (never goes past 90). To me, it sounds like tappets, though I'm not experienced with mechanics, I know a tappety sound shouldn't be coming from there. I also had the leaky fuel pump sorted before the above squealing started, but I'm hoping against hope the racket isn't the fuel pump.

I've removed the alternator belt and ran the engine the other week, while hot and noise present, the noise persisted.

At the last service about a year ago, I put 5W30 Synthetic oil in, as recommended by my parts supplier as listed for my vehicle. I read the other day on the forum that this is wrong and that 10W40 Semi-Synthetic is the proper oil to use. Suspecting the oil might be the issue, I've changed that and the filter this morning. Engine sounded a lot smoother at first and was pleased as punch. Now, I've just got back from a little run, so the engine got well up to temperature and hello, there's that stinking din!

I don't know what to do next without losing my rag or my wallet at a garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I had a ticking noise on my van and it did do my head in. I found it was the hydraulic tappets was the problem... And yes use 10W40 oil as 5W30 is too thin... Hope this helps...

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Pump your breaks when it's ticking to see if it goes away , if it does then u have a noisy vacuum pump
Its not the same system on 4 pot engines bud and they rarely give problems. Vaccum pumps are driven off the crank on a internal gear wheel not a rod driven by the cam.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Theres not much on a 1.9 to Tap except the Hydrolic Tappets

Would be the most probable cause and there not too expensive for a set

1 - 5 of 5 Posts