VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just purchased some nice roof bars from a local supplier in Derby. I am curious how to securely fit my surfboards utilising the roof bars as opposed to purchasing cross bars?

Anyone done it just using the roof bars?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi

I have done this before and used a camping memory foam blow up 7.5cm sleeping mat underneath the boards. this allows the boards to be compressed onto the van roof using cargo straps. it did the job for the small trip 8miles into Bude but i would never do it again is it just did not feel safe. Cross bars are a must to secure your boards for your piece of mind and for the saftey of other road users. (unless there is another system I do not know about).
T:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Have bought some soft roof cross bars for the boards to sit on so I can strap them down to the roof bars. Did your board move about a bit then?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
When I had a zafira, I used to have crossbars with pipe lagging on for my boards - they were held with bungee cords for short low speed journeys.

I used to add ratchet straps for the motorway.

Now I have a T5 I just put then straight in the back :D

I should add that I am looking at getting a longboard which i *think* will fit diagonally inside my SWB.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When I had a zafira, I used to have crossbars with pipe lagging on for my boards - they were held with bungee cords for short low speed journeys.

I used to add ratchet straps for the motorway.

Now I have a T5 I just put then straight in the back :D

I should add that I am looking at getting a longboard which i *think* will fit diagonally inside my SWB.
I have a SWB and I can just about squeeze my 9'2" longboard in diagonally. It's not ideal though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi

my boards moved slightly at higher speeds when strapped to the roof I just felt uncomfortable with the whole setup.

I have a 9footer lonboard and it does just fit in the back of my SWB you have to lift it slightly and push it along side the passenger seat, not ideal when carrying passengers as it stops access to the side door, but all good if you are alone. I have seen cunning interior roof stapping systems for long boards modded into vans aswell. that or buy a short board or LWB. SIMPLES...Rails and cross bars are the safest and most secure system.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Has anyone strapped their board against the roof on the inside?

I used to do this with my old T4, The corner channeling that ran the length of the room inside had handy cutouts int he middle and at the back so as I think a few people did, I made a loop with tie straps and the tie strap sat around decent diameter wooden dowel slotted inside the cutouts in the channels so you then had two slings. One slung across the middle and one across the back of the van that tightened and held the board against the roof out the way and I didn't have to have roof bars or rails and inside was still usable?

Just interested to know if anyone created a similar setup with a T5?

Never took a picture of the straps in place but this will give you an idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts