VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning campers. .

Got myself some new bouncy bits from that there busfest and have fitted the rear springs and shocks no probs. Moved to the front and i can't get the old shocks out. Bottom bolt no prob and front of the top ones also no prob it's the back one at the top i can't do, it just spins.

Is there a 'way' of doing it or do i need to find a suitably sized spanner and grind it thin enough to get in the gap? .. Sure I'm not the first person to get this problem. ...

Cheers peeps T:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
You should be able to find a 'How To' in the Steering & Suspension 'technical Items'...good luckT:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to find a 'How To' in the Steering & Suspension 'technical Items'...good luckT:
That's what i thought so looked there first. No 'how to' but a couple of mentions of it here and there. Those being grind down a spanner or weld the stud into place. .... But that would need to be a last resort. ..

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I suppose a ground down spanner could come in handy at some point, so I'd get out the Grinder I:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem. The top back bolt looked like it should be welded on mine and had broke free of its weld and just kept spinning round. I checked the other side and that one was fixed. Only solution was to re-weld. Bolt undid fine then! :ILU:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I had the same problem. The top back bolt looked like it should be welded on mine and had broke free of its weld and just kept spinning round. I checked the other side and that one was fixed. Only solution was to re-weld. Bolt undid fine then! :ILU:
Okeydonkey. ... well i have both grinder and welder and next week off work so unless anyone else comes up with something else that's the way i shall be going. ...

Cheers peeps..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have done a couple and one van it would not come off.. so had to cut the nut off and then drill out the old bolt and weld a new one in place.

took about an hour to sort the one side.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had exactly the same issue, fortunately on the first side I came to (as I didn't fancy running on one old and one new shock)

I drove over to my tame mechanic, who jammed an old screwdriver between the top of the spinning bolt and the chassis (there is about a 3mm gap on mine)

Thirty seconds later, with the use of an air powered driver, the nut was off; five minutes later both shocks replaced.

Sometimes the old simple tricks just do the job!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had exactly the same issue, fortunately on the first side I came to (as I didn't fancy running on one old and one new shock)

I drove over to my tame mechanic, who jammed an old screwdriver between the top of the spinning bolt and the chassis (there is about a 3mm gap on mine)

Thirty seconds later, with the use of an air powered driver, the nut was off; five minutes later both shocks replaced.

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh. ... Now i like that. ... i have air tools too A:

I'll give it a whirl ta :ILU:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Job jobbed!

Went from this.....

Thro' this....

To this....

T:

115mm gone from the gap between the top of rear tyre to the wheel arch and the effect that's had on the step up into the back of the van is remarkable... Gotta be a 6inch drop :eek:

Wound 25mm off the threads on the front torsion bar so the front matched the rear and I gotta say I'm well chuffed...

Ended up tack welding the stud back to the chassis in order to get the nut off so thanks for the help guys T:T:T: Came off no probs after that....

Sadly tho the springs have done nothing for the 'minor' dent in the back door..... Maybe I'll try a sticker? I:I:

·
Registered
203 Posts

This forum needs a like button. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've just lowered mine all round, all OK till I got to thje last one, front nearside, put a bit of pressure on the nut (the one that normally spins and did on the offside) and the bolt snapped :eek:

This bolt has been welded, not a spot weld either, nice tidy tight weld all the way round the visible bit, now what do I do, can't see it going through the MOT in 4 weeks time :* and gonna be a biatch to grind all that off,then how do you get a new bolt in :*

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I've just lowered mine all round, all OK till I got to thje last one, front nearside, put a bit of pressure on the nut (the one that normally spins and did on the offside) and the bolt snapped :eek:

This bolt has been welded, not a spot weld either, nice tidy tight weld all the way round the visible bit, now what do I do, can't see it going through the MOT in 4 weeks time :* and gonna be a biatch to grind all that off,then how do you get a new bolt in :*
grind it all off mate...drill out and drop the subframe and replace with a new bolt!...may not be easy but doable..T:

·
Registered
290 Posts
grind it all off mate...drill out and drop the subframe and replace with a new bolt!...may not be easy but doable..T:
Cheers Colese, I know, just looks a hell of a job to grind all that off!!!

I've not looked yet, but what is involved with dropping the subframe, is this something I can do with basic tools + a trolly jack and axel stands?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts