VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Our '96 2.4D Caravelle is, once more, causing some head scratching.

We had a new clutch fitted at Christmas, so suddenly had a full set of gears to play with once more. The latest problem is that the year change is very awkward, particularly when the engine and 'box are cold.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is likely to be? It seems to be getting worse :-(

Thanks!

·
Registered
673 Posts
have you changed gearbox oil at all in the van's life?

also have you checked the gear linkage? might have been /bushes balls worn but you didn't notice when clutch was fubar'd?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Morning, the only thing in regards to a transmission that can vary in performance according to temperature is oil. From experience volkswagens respond very well to an oil supplied by morris lubricants call MTF FS75/80 API GL4.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've not had the bus long, so I'm trying to get everything up to a known point (if you know what I man!) Gearbox oil seems a good plan! Being a T4 novice, is that a simple job?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've not had the bus long, so I'm trying to get everything up to a known point (if you know what I mean!) Gearbox oil seems a good plan! Being a T4 novice, is that a simple job?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
I have the same problem. it has only come on recentley. Like you i havent had van long and trying to get it all sorted.
Im hoping it is and easy job.
Mine seems more stiff going into gears on the left hand side ie:1st 2nd and reverse.
I dont know if there are balls either side?
Hope someone replies and helps us soon.
Good luck with yours
:ILU:

·
Registered
330 Posts
before you buy anything lift up the gearstick gaitor and spray oil into the linkage assembly then with foot on clutch go through all the gears a few times, the mechanism is very prone to gumming up and restricting gear change especially 1st and reverse and causing incorrect gear selection.

·
Registered
673 Posts
How did you get on familylugg?

if you about the weekend and its not sorted I might be able to help you out as I think we live very close to each other (se18?)

I'm off this weekend although busy if its still causing you gyp sometimes 2 heads are better than one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts