VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have already use it to gain a wealth of information and am very grateful it exists!

the van:

2006 t5
swb
2.5l
150,000miles
no engine mods.

a couple of months ago we purchased the van in england (we are from australia). we arrived in france three days ago. yesterday the glow plug light began flashing while the vehicle is running then about 5mins after that started the exhaust gas warning light came on (as a steady light, not flashing). we do not speak enough french to convey our problems, have been to 3 garages, 2 who said they were unable to help, and a 3rd the vw dealer who could not give us a time frame/cost.

have been reading it may be the DPF. Would a longer, faster drive on motorway possibly fix this (we have been putting around Epernay) or will this damage the vehicle.

as for the glow plug warning lamp, have checked all lights (brake lights) on vehicle and nothing seems amiss.

the warning lamps came on about 40 miles after filling up with 'gazole' (diesel)

we do not have breakdown cover.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nick.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If it is the DPF a "brisk" drive may indeed cure the problem.

As for the warning lights I would double check the levels & if the warning lights still come on I would disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes to see if that "resets" them (this used to work with my T4 - don't know for certain if it will with the T5 though).

Don't forget the radio code though & don't leave the keys in in when to disconnect the battery.

Hope this helps & you get sorted.

·
Registered
339 Posts
French for DPF is 'FAP' - Filtre a Particules.

Have you read the manual to see what the exhaust light means? I don't have a DPF on my van but from what I've read an orange light means it needs to be driven at a certain RPM for a certain amount of time (not speed related, RPM related).

You might need to ask them to force regenerate the DPF which could be asked: "régéneration forcée de FAP" - or "régéneration obligatoire de FAP" depending on how good my french is! I am sure the person you speak to will know. Or you could ask them if it would be possible to plug it into the computer for diagnostics: "est-ce-que c'est possible de le branché a l'ordinateur pour des diagnostics".

The key with the French is to be as polite as possible, subservient almost. Smile, say as much as you possibly can in French: "bonjour", "désolé", "s'il vous plaît" etc etc. Remember, google translator is your friend.

You're right next to Reims which is a huge city, they'll have a VW van centre there.

AVENIR CHAMPAGNE AUTOMOBILES
Volkswagen
412 Avenue de Laon
51100 REIMS
Tel: 03 26 77 33 33
Fax: 03 26 77 33 45

Volkswagen Saint Marcel (SAS) Distributeur [526m]
45 bd Gras Brancourt
02000 LAON
03 23 27 19 00

These are from the yellow pages: www.pagesjaunes.fr

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hope you get it sorted..

Do you have a dpf.. ? Open the bonnet and look down by the bulkhead for the exhaust. The dpf has some wires and sensors attached. Its about 2 times the diameter of the exhaust pipe. A catalyst is a smaller diameter bulge...

A dpf...

From the top

·
Registered
561 Posts
glow plug flashing light is more of a worry. the dpf should be ok if its driven at high speed for 20mins or so. Make sure you fix the glow plug thing before you do anything about the dpf (which may not need anything doing to it but is v expensive).

pm dazboi to see if he knows - explain very very clearly the symbols that are illuminated - what these warning lights mean.

·
Registered
875 Posts
And if you do need a new one, mine was taken off the vehicle at 5k miles and I would do you a deal...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts