VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set off from traffic lights when there was a thud and lost all gears forward and reverse just get a nasty grinding noise from the clutch/gearbox has anyone any ideas what has gone wrong i have a 1.9tdi 84bhp & to top it all i had to be towed off by a Citroen :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any idea of cost & is it a straightforward repair, not that anything seams to be straightforward when it comes to VW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are you planning on doing it yourself? It is an easy fix.
First of all you need to confirm this is the issue. You need to get the front offside off the ground and try spin the wheel whilst in gear. If it does spin then this is pretty much confirmation. Although it may not spin by hand as there's so little force compared to the vans power.
Anyway, once you've confirmed the driveshaft is at fault you need to strip it out to find out what parts you require.... Simply a case of undo main driveshaft hub nut (can be Very tight) undo bottom ball joint, undo driveshaft middle bearing carrier and then swing away the disc/hub assembly. Now just pull shaft from gearbox and it's removed.
Have a look at the spline on the gearbox female end of the shaft. Chances are these will be stripped and almost smooth. They should be a heavy almost square spline.
Now you need yo inspect the splines on the stub shaft. This is a small part that connects the driveshaft to the gearbox and is removed by an Allen key (think it was a 6mm) through the middle of the stub. The stub is sprung so should remove easily. No gearbox oil will be lost.
Once stub removed inspect both make end splines for stripping / twisting.
Now you know what you need to buy, either a driveshaft or shaft and stub.
If you had a 2.5 then I would say go to J+R driveshafts as they stock the driveshafts for around £60. I've used a few of these and they are decent quality. However last time I checked about 6 months ago they didn't stock the 1.9 shafts yet. Although they were planning on so give them a call.
If not then its shopping around Euro car parts / GSF etc. your prices here will vary from £120 yo £270 for genuine VW shafts. Hence why J+R should be your first try.
As for the stub shaft, these are around £100 and most places stock them.
When refitting ensure the splines of all parts are well greased with CV grease.
If it turns out it's your Nearside shaft then the above is the same apart from there isn't a stub shaft, and the gearbox side is bolt on. All very simple.
Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another recommendation for J&R - bought a driveshaft for my Pug 306 from them. Cheap to buy, quickly delivered & good quality.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you planning on doing it yourself? It is an easy fix.
First of all you need to confirm this is the issue. You need to get the front offside off the ground and try spin the wheel whilst in gear. If it does spin then this is pretty much confirmation. Although it may not spin by hand as there's so little force compared to the vans power.
Anyway, once you've confirmed the driveshaft is at fault you need to strip it out to find out what parts you require.... Simply a case of undo main driveshaft hub nut (can be Very tight) undo bottom ball joint, undo driveshaft middle bearing carrier and then swing away the disc/hub assembly. Now just pull shaft from gearbox and it's removed.
Have a look at the spline on the gearbox female end of the shaft. Chances are these will be stripped and almost smooth. They should be a heavy almost square spline.
Now you need yo inspect the splines on the stub shaft. This is a small part that connects the driveshaft to the gearbox and is removed by an Allen key (think it was a 6mm) through the middle of the stub. The stub is sprung so should remove easily. No gearbox oil will be lost.
Once stub removed inspect both make end splines for stripping / twisting.
Now you know what you need to buy, either a driveshaft or shaft and stub.
If you had a 2.5 then I would say go to J+R driveshafts as they stock the driveshafts for around £60. I've used a few of these and they are decent quality. However last time I checked about 6 months ago they didn't stock the 1.9 shafts yet. Although they were planning on so give them a call.
If not then its shopping around Euro car parts / GSF etc. your prices here will vary from £120 yo £270 for genuine VW shafts. Hence why J+R should be your first try.
As for the stub shaft, these are around £100 and most places stock them.
When refitting ensure the splines of all parts are well greased with CV grease.
If it turns out it's your Nearside shaft then the above is the same apart from there isn't a stub shaft, and the gearbox side is bolt on. All very simple.
Good luck.
Cheers for writing up a nice neat description on how to sort this. I've not had a driveshaft fail (yet.... 95k 2004 1.9..), it's good to be forewarned on how to sort things if it goes.

Just looked at the J&R website; the drive shaft is available for the 1.9, £49.99 for each side. Bargain! No mention of the stub shaft tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The garage that recovered my van had a quick look and said its not the drive shaft because it was not turning when they let the clutch out they have said its a problem with the gearbox about £600 but can't be certain until they can get it on the ramp. I'm not sure as I had a gearbox go on an old transit & only lost 2nd gear not all gears:(

·
Registered
731 Posts
My drive shaft went last Saturday pulling out a junction, bought the shaft from j&r on ebay for £49.99 and the stub shaft was £39.99 from another seller, both parts came next day and took about an hour to fix, mines a 1.9 104 2004
This is good news for 1.9 T5 owners... Looks like they've finally added them to there stock. T:T:

·
Registered
731 Posts
The garage that recovered my van had a quick look and said its not the drive shaft because it was not turning when they let the clutch out they have said its a problem with the gearbox about £600 but can't be certain until they can get it on the ramp. I'm not sure as I had a gearbox go on an old transit & only lost 2nd gear not all gears:(
Just please ensure they properly inspect the driveshafts. Not knocking your garage but anyone who doesn't know what's wrong and starts mentioning £600 would ring alarm bells in my eyes. :*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After telling the garage for days everyone on here had said it was the drive shaft that was the problem not a gearbox fault the garage rang me today to say "I needed a new driveshaft" well supprise supprise

Thanks guys for all your help T:

·
Registered
731 Posts
After telling the garage for days everyone on here had said it was the drive shaft that was the problem not a gearbox fault the garage rang me today to say "I needed a new driveshaft" well supprise supprise

Thanks guys for all your help T:
Glad your getting sorted mate. Hope they don't charge you for whatever they've been doing for a few days?? :*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts