VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are new to van owning and have bought a 2005 van which is already converted. It needs some TLC which we are enjoying getting on with and learning as we go.
One issue we have is that one of the side windows is stuck fast. We had a similar issue with the right hand one, and eventualy persuaded it to open using trim tools to slide underneath, and some pressure from outside. We have cleaned that one up and repaced the opening mechanism, and now it functions perfectly The left side window is just refusing to budge.
Is there any way it can be removed without having to open it at al, or is that only possible once the window is open a little? Any hints of tips as to how we might be able to get it to slide?
Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
Assuming you refer to the factory fitted sliding windows - no, as far as I know it's not possible, because there is no way to retract the guide pins at the leading edge.

If you don't know the full history of the van, it would be wise to question whether it has been sealed shut by a previous owner - especially if it doesn't leak. I was going to do that on our 2005 Kombi because it leaked very badly - in the end we chose to replace it with an aftermarket sliding window instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, factory fitted. I see that lots of people have issues with them leaking, and certainly on the right side the Blind which stores inside the door has loads of rust stains on it, so water has clearly gone down inside the door.

The left side, the stuck side, the blind is like new....but the window doesn't feel like it's been sealed, as it will jiggle a few millimetres but just wont slide.

It's not crticial, it's more frustrating. But perhaps not as much as if it was leaking so perhaps we just have to be grateful for small mercies!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
Do you know for sure that when you pull open the "butterfly" catch, both top and bottom rods retract? I think it's possible for the catch to break in such a way that one does not?

And sorry to have to say it, but if there is lots of rust below the N/S (sliding door) sliding window, I would budget to replace it at some point in the future. The problem is that (crazily) the lower runner has a mild steel internal support, which rusts and forces the lower guide rail off the glass. Generally you can tell if that is happening because the lower guide rail ceases to be flat, and looks all wavy if you look along it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh. The guide rail looks ok for now but will keep an eye on it.

The butterfly mechanism was totally broken so we have removed it and will install new ones - that's worked for the NS window. The stuck one has nothing there at all - it only stays closed because it's stuck. Will put the new mechanism in though to hold it where it should be in case it loosens.

·
Team Silver
128 Posts
Ugh. The guide rail looks ok for now but will keep an eye on it.

The butterfly mechanism was totally broken so we have removed it and will install new ones - that's worked for the NS window. The stuck one has nothing there at all - it only stays closed because it's stuck. Will put the new mechanism in though to hold it where it should be in case it loosens.
They get stuck over time - if you don’t open them at least every month or two they can get properly stuck - especially if you’re parked in the open near to trees like ours... sap gets on to the seal making them awful to open the first time in spring - have used a pressure washer followed by spray oil to lube them up and ease them into action
If you are sure the mech is disengaging the pins then a firm push with a flat hand on the rear of the sliding panel (towards the back of the van) should be all you need - once the rear recesses then it’s all about the channel of the mechanism doing the work and keeping the pins disengaged so it slides all the way back...
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I had to replace my sliding glass section in the window as the frame that the glass section was fitted in had swelled due to rust - making it harder to open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts