VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This may be a silly question but in my search for a T5 camper I have test driven two 2.5 tdi’s and both sounded like that had a fluffy rattle/vibration (hope that makes sense?).
hard to describe but almost like a petrol engine that had a loose spark plug and losing compression.
Is this due to the fact it has 5 cylinders?

managed listened to one as it drove out of a car park today and it sounded exactly the same. Put me off a bit to be honest.

please let me know As it’s bugging me

·
Special Rapporteur
9,098 Posts
The 5 cylinder engines are quite loud and rattly compared to the current generation of "proper" common rail diesels, and they (like most diesels) can be quite rattly immediately after startup until the hydraulic lifters settle in, but if you're hearing odd noises then I would just leave it. Our 2005 5-cylinder doesn't sound odd while running once it's warmed up.

You might be hearing, for example, failure of the exhaust manifold, or an exhaust that's falling apart, but not really possible to say without hearing it and looking in detail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying.
just seemed strange that three that I have test driven or observed sounded the same
it’s a tad off putting.
ive got amarok 2.0bi turbo and apart from a slight ticking when cold it’s fine. These sound broken, but surely 3/3 can’t all have the same problem

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Thank you for replying.
just seemed strange that three that I have test driven or observed sounded the same
it’s a tad off putting.
ive got amarok 2.0bi turbo and apart from a slight ticking when cold it’s fine. These sound broken, but surely 3/3 can’t all have the same problem
They sound terrible, its just the way they are. They do however pull like trains.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Miloslo,

they do sound shocking.
just purchased a 2.5 174bhp.
Sounded better than the others and loads of grunt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts