VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP - the clutch pedal won't return to it's position. I can't select any gear while the motor is running and there is not a patch of oil under the motor (not motor oil). Does anyone know what has failed here? It would really be helpful to have an idea because I am in Italy and my 1997 T4 TDI is too old for breakdown cover so I have to get a local garage to tow me and repair and I would like to have an idea what the problem could be.

Thanks fellers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ouch, I feel for you. I hope you get the right help asap.

One obvious question: Had the clutch pedal and master cylinder bracket broken off like on the thread below?:

Help In Toulouse, Snapped Clutch Tingy

If so, there's a bracket that you can buy on eBay (be careful which one you buy, get it from a UK seller if you can) or there's a guy on here who pioneered. I'll fish it out for you if this is the problem.

Otherwise I have no idea. Let's hope someone else can chip in with their knowledge.

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you mean fluid is leaking from underneath that is not engine oil?
If so it maybe a leak from the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid will be brake fluid as the clutch and brake systems use the same fluid.

I recently replaced a slave cylinder on my T4 2.5 TDI.
However the gearbox must be removed on the 2.5 TDI’s as the slave cylinder is located inside the gearbox bell housing and also includes the thrust bearing.

If you are going to remove the gearbox then I would also inspect the clutch assembly and the flywheel as it maybe a good time to replace these items unless they are in very good condition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil is not engine oil, so it looks like a slave cylinder has failed (pity it wasn't the bracket). I had the master replaced three years ago, but still it could be either master or slave gone this time, I had the van towed from the piazza here (I am in Italy) to a local garage, so I will just have to see what they come up with.

Thanks for the help fellers, it is much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts