VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help, I'm running out of ideas....

My lovely (until now) T4 Camper (1999 2.5 TDi) has now developed awful brakes. I took it out 3 weeks ago and it behaved as normal. Took it out yesterday and as soon as I applied the brakes I knew something was wrong; the camper stops, but not very quickly and the brakes no longer lock up, no matter how hard I push. Pedal travel appears excessive and I can push it to the floor as if there was air in the system. No ABS fitted.

Work done so far:
  • Rear brakes discs, pads and Calipers were around 7000 miles ago, no issues and no leaks evident, all good.:).
  • Front discs/pads replaced today, calipers inspected, no leaks, and the pistons were nice and shiny, no splits in the seals; all good :)
  • Brakes were bled, no air in the system. Decided it was the master cylinder (leaking past the seals), put a new Pagid part on, pressure bled and then manually bled as well. Still :poop: brakes.
  • Engine running, someone standing on the pedal as I inspected the brake hoses, all x6 of them, no bulges and all appear good. No leaks from any of the brake pipes.
Had a similar issue with my sons Golf diesel, but that was a hard pedal, which turned out to be the hose off the brake servo vacuum pump; inspected the T4 one, all is good, no splits at all and I've looked hard. The check non-return valve only allows air one way and the servo builds up pressure, checked by turning the engine off and pulling the hose out of the servo and a rush of air can be heard. Also turned the engine off, pumped the brake pedal until hard, apply pressure to the pedal and start the engine; pedal sinks as expected. Could it be the non-return valve? There are 2 little pipes that come off it, one to the EGR control thing and one that goes into the bulk head (not sure what that does); either way I've blocked both off and still get the same effect. :poop: brakes.

Any thoughts on my issue?

Many thanks all, Jon

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
Just an idea, but have you checked the mounting frame for the pedals?
Known failure point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Yes I have, had a similar issue with a VW Polo that had fractured the pedal box. I’ve ordered the non return valve. Only place I could find one was France 🇫🇷. At least it’s an OEM one.

I’ve unplugged the pipe to the servo as well and the pedal is hard, doesn’t sink to the floor; which rules out air in the lines.

I’ll get there, just winding me up at the moment 😂. I’ll post and let you know what’s going on once I’ve replaced the valve 👍🏻

·
Registered
73 Posts
What was the answer to this fault .I cant think of a reason but would be very interested to know the fault for everyones future reference

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have been meaning to get back to the forum team.

Changed the valve; made no difference. Turned out to be trapped air; i pushed the pressure bleeder up to 25psi and that seemed to have shifted it; all good now. Got through a lot of brake fluid in the process.

Thanks for every ones thoughts and help.

Happy VWing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts