VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Ok so you have a 2.4D with alloy sump and 17mm hex large diameter sump plug.
These can be extremely tight and dificult to undo,i use a 6 sided impact socket and a 24" breaker bar.
On rare occasions when this has failed or some butcher has molested the 17mm hex i have had to cut the plug to release the tension on its sealing surface.
I have known people to try stilsons on them and complely ruin the hex and worse of all they put the ruined plug back in for the next guy to struggle with.

Try a 6 sided socket and (not a 12 sided) a breaker bar,if the 17mm hex is slightly marred then dress the flanks with a file so the socket can get a better grip on them.

If all else fails then it will need to be cut to relieve the tension,then it will undo easily but will also need replaceing.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I have never damaged a sump when removing a plug and i have removed 100's of them.
Even if you need to cut it you stop cutting when you reach the copper sealing washer,before you cut into the sump.
If you cant release it with the six sided socket after dressing the 17mm hex then cut into the plug parallel and along one of the six sides of the hex then the opposite side of the hex until you reach the copper washer,so you have make two cuts in the plug either side of the hex.This is enough to release the tension and then you can undo the plug.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi AGGIE,

Not t trying to tread jack here , but My 2.5tdi has got PTFE tape around it and she Is now due for a service. my man sucked out the oil last time through one of the oil way's through the rocker cover, as he was unsure if the alloy sump thread would be so mullered , I would have to lash out on a new sump which with the gasket i think was over £220:eek:

Do you have any ideas what I should arm myself with before takling this task. What size is the sump thread as i could buy a tap but then i may end up getting swaf in the sump . Drill it go up a size if it's really buggered?

Or is there any gismo on the market which will sort it with no hassle:*
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having the same issue trying to remove my sump plug. Steel plug/ ally sump - 2.5TD
I have another problem though. I've added some pre oil change flushing agent so now i cannot drive my van until the oil change is done because they do not advise driving the van with engine flush in the engine oil.

Can i drain my oil out of the sump by removing the sump level sensor? This is held in place by allen bolts which all undo freely.

Cheers

·
Registered
453 Posts
put ratchet on the socket, trolley jack underneath and slowly raise keeping the pressure on with wee breaks it will come off as mine was giving me grief last week

·
Registered
306 Posts
draining the oil out of the oil dipstick hole isnt right, the bad oil right at the bottom stays there.

if the sump plug is tight, get a good hexagon socket (a good quality one) with a little breaker bar/strong arm, making sure that its a good tight fit, gently tap the bar with a lump hammer until its loose,.... it will loosen.

dont what ever you do put a breaker bar on the sump plug and just pull and swing, either the nut will round off or the threads will strip :(

(dont forget to warm the engine up)

replace the copper/fibre washer and plug if needed.

if the sump plug is already worn and rounded get some round off sockets, there reasonably cheap and will always come in handy. T:

and if your really really OMG stuck, im in Sunny Blackburn and will work for pie and chips Rasp:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The level sensor is located at the dead bottom of the sump so it looks like it would drain the sump effectively. Has anyone ever drained the oil usung this method i.e because their sump plug won't budge.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The level sensor is located at the dead bottom of the sump so it looks like it would drain the sump effectively. Has anyone ever drained the oil usung this method i.e because their sump plug won't budge.

U seem to be massively conserned about the sensor :eek:
Just pull it out & U will see what happends
Either way U have not solved the issue with the stuck drain plug...
In my mind U are chasing a gost:rolleyes:

U will not get past unduing the bottom plug either way U swing ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I intend to drive my van to a mates garage where he can get it up on the lift and hopefully get the sump plug off.

The problem i have is i cannot drive my van any distance because i have added an engine flush designed to be added to the oil just before draining it out and replacing with new oil.

Therefore i need to get this engine oil drained and replaced in order to drive my van to a garage in order to get the sump plug removed.

So all i need to know is, but no one seems to be grasping what i'm getting at - will this method be successful in draining out all my engine oil? I don't want to make matters worse.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I that ended up round instead of hex head , the way i get them off is whack a 16mm socket onto it and then get the breaker bar on it.

The 16mm socket still has the plug stuck in it H:

but the sump has a brand new plug and washer :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts