VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Is this the type that fixes to a subtle rail in the rain gutter Stu? It's the sort I'm looking to get so when the canopy is packed away there's no visible rails or fixings.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I take it you have to buy the channel separately as it's not mentioned in the description. Also I'd need to remove my roof bars wouldn't I?
Sorry Eddie, hijacking your thread here mate 😬

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This is what i use passenger side where my slider is and where my awning is on big trips
And i have modified this type und er my roof bars drivers side so i can put up the sun canopy on that side if i want (with a drive away figure 8and kador strip)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks a lot Stu, not looking at a drive away awning yet, maybe somewhere down the road once I've got a few camping trips in the bag. I do like the idea of the first link in that there's no drilling required, definitely got plenty to work on now. Thanks again mate (y)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
No drilling with either of them bud
With my bars i should use the stepped type both sides but bodged the flat one to use canopy drivers side because I already had it

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Yeah that was my thinking ie cutting the trim down to fit inbetween my roof bar mounts, it's certainly the cheaper option as the stepped one is over 4 times the price, however I am leaning towards the stepped so it's a continuous rail, being on my own I think trying to feed the canopy through multiple channels could be a bit of a mare.
Thanks for the pics Stu, and yes your roof is filthy! :eek: I'll be honest, 10 months into owning my van, I've cleaned my roof a total of zero times 😂

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Yeah that was my thinking ie cutting the trim down to fit inbetween my roof bar mounts, it's certainly the cheaper option as the stepped one is over 4 times the price, however I am leaning towards the stepped so it's a continuous rail, being on my own I think trying to feed the canopy through multiple channels could be a bit of a mare.
Thanks for the pics Stu, and yes your roof is filthy! :eek: I'll be honest, 10 months into owning my van, I've cleaned my roof a total of zero times 😂
On the bodged side i dont feed the canopy around the bars i feed the kador strip around them then use the figure 8 to attach the canopy
I still use a kador strip and figure 8 on the passenger side with the awning to allow me to drive away and reconnect when i get back without taking the awning down
If at any point you want to use an awning or even a sun canopy in the rain you have to use a continuous awning rail otherwise rain leaks between awning/canopy and the van

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Thats shocking!! :eek:.
I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. o_O
I sleep ok, it's when I get up and open the curtains that I see the roof and think "should really clean that" :unsure: I'll check if I have a long enough brush. I was / am tempted to get a black roof wrap, surely over time there'll be that much grime on there that it'll look black ergo saving me a few hundred pounds 🤣
On the bodged side i dont feed the canopy around the bars i feed the kador strip around them then use the figure 8 to attach the canopy
I still use a kador strip and figure 8 on the passenger side with the awning to allow me to drive away and reconnect when i get back without taking the awning down
If at any point you want to use an awning or even a sun canopy in the rain you have to use a continuous awning rail otherwise rain leaks between awning/canopy and the van
Aha se what you mean, I was wondering what the figure 8 was used for, I was concerned about leaking as you say but using this solved that issue.
Leaning back towards the botched idea as it's more discreet, and erm… cheaper. 😁
When you get a few minutes, could I be cheeky and ask you to measure the length of the canopy when it's packed away in it's carry bag, need to make sure I've got somewhere to store it in the van. Thank Stu (y)
Thinking we need a post for how clean is your roof !!!!! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::eek:
:oops::unsure:💡 Give me an hour and I'm in Eddie 😇

1 - 20 of 25 Posts