VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Torsion bars & Sachs shocks are here :D Great service from SKS / Wanapart. I'm meant to be doing "useful" stuff at home this week but these might not be able to wait...

If anybody happens to know where I can get the matching ARBs from, I'm all ears !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I went for the quick win and popped the shocks on this afternoon. Nice easy job and wow, what a difference, even without the new torsion bars. I'd fitted boggo Meyle front shocks last year as a stop gap, and they were better than the knackered originals but they weren't what I expected from brand new shocks. Still quite soft and wallowy, the suspension would easily bottom out over even quite mild speed bumps. I'm not even running the front particularly low.

With the new shocks on it's how I'd expect new suspension to feel. Nicely firm with much better control. Perhaps a little jiggly on really rough surfaces but I'd rather that than feeling seasick the rest of the time !

So once again I've been given the buy cheap/buy twice lesson. The Meyles were about £45 for the front pair. The Sachs were £156 for the set. OK, so that's about 70% more, but I'm sure I could have found the extra money first time if I'd really thought about it. It would have saved me the £45. Oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just read and really enjoyed this one! Especially as a fellow mtb'er!

im hoping to pretty much do what u have done with a lwb caravelle and lose the rear seats. Keep up the good work! Have u just got the nirmal speakers with your fancy radio?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
LOL at the "fancy" radio, it might have been fancy about fifteen years ago, not now !

I've just got the standard speakers at the moment, but I used to dabble with car audio years ago and I still have a few odds & ends in stock so I might end up fitting something better. AIUI there's not many options for fitting front speakers unless you have the door pockets. I only have the driver's side, and passenger side pockets seem to command silly money on the odd occasion they turn up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice project mate, I've been reading with interest, also your not so far away i'm in Newbury with a LWB caravelle and a swb syncro.

Did you register yours as a 6 seater ? I was thinking of doing this to make insurance easier, insurance on a 9 seater can be an issue I've found.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Looking good mate, the front ARBs are rare as rocking horse....even on .de.....I believe a word with your friendly local TPS would relieve you of about £270 if i remember rightly. Its the only part of my suspension I haven't changed yet. Get yourself a 26mm rear ARB, makes the world of difference to the rear body roll.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Stu - the previous owner had already re-registered it as a 7 seater for exactly that reason. I don't know how much difference it makes though ?

Stig - I've still not fitted those torsion bars ! I started a new job just after getting them from you and time just seems to have disappeared since then. I need to set aside a weekend of just doing car stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Oh, it's all a tale of woe here ! Noticed a puddle of coolant under the van a few weeks ago. Water pump. Which is driven by the timing belt. With some tensioners. And another timing belt at the other end of the engine just for good measure. You're meant to replace the whole lot in one go.

I don't have time to do all this myself so off it went to my Tuna. £524.40 later it's all done, plus a fresh thermostat seeing as they were draining the coolant anyway.

It's in for its MOT tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
MOT passed, with just the usual advisories.

Finally bought an awning too ! Fiamma Carvanstore 310, just the right size for a LWB van. I fitted an awning rail into the rain gutter and slotted it in.

I'm not totally convinced about how it leans against the van though. It's intended to fit on the flat vertical wall of a caravan and doesn't work quite like that here. Lots of other folk have these, but I can't find any info on how they've fitted them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Next update - vinyl. A previous owner had painted the driver's side B pillar but it was flaking off. Not a very good job.

There's a seller on ebay that does textured B/C pillar vinyl. Good quality, but takes a lot of care & skill to fit. I got my brother to do it :) Pleased with how it's turned out, it really makes it look less van-like. Before & after pics:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2001 Caravelle an auto with 2.5tdi , one owner full VWSH only 71000mls. fitted new alloys, st/st side exhaust, updated stereo c/w bluetooth, had all rear window tinted, fiited wind blocker and a chrome A bar.

Really like the finish on the pillers in black so will order them for it.

Did the VW Heritage headlight upgrade and changed all other bulbs inside and outside to L.E.D'S

Had problem with the injectors so fitted larger ones from United Diesel, also had to fit new turbo as original was leaking from the seal and giving me fumes into the cab area (now ok )

Next step is a remap to get the best out of them.

Fitted curtains all round (also bought from VW Heritage)

Timing belts, water ump and all the other associated bits have been done.

like other T4 owners no doubt something will been seen somewhere that i want/like at some show or other that will be fitted but, hey thats for the future !! very happy with it now

T: :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Wow, is it really a year and a half since I updated this ? I've hardly used the van tbh, time seems to pass so quickly. It's just spent three weeks with my parents helping them move house though, so it's been useful.

MOT passed again. I finally relented and paid someone to fit the new torsion bars for me after they'd sat in the garage for two years :eek:

And I just recently upgraded the radio to a Becker Indianapolis - with correct VAG illumination. Really very similar to the Traffic Pro I already had, but newer and faster, and will play MP3s. It'll also work with the Becker iPod adapter.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Interesting build thread - a little different as you said earlier .
Amazed at how few responses you seem to have had especially in the early years of this.
Like your point about tuning into Radio 4, whassat dad ?. Me, Mornington Crescent, TMS and Desert Island Discs regular......
Like your Becker radio too - I have a Hacker - not in the van - proper British radio :)
Interested to see that your fuel filler cap seems rust free at 203k miles plus. Is that your first one ?
Currently enjoying a long slow conversion of a 2003 T4 which has a bit of a Caravelle feel to it: seats, door cards, carpet and dark dash to come. Time for a build thread me thinks

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you really want to go "retro" i have the becker traffic assist sat nav (15 years old ) if you want it.

just taking up space in the office.

complete kit,just needs maps update.

let me know or it is going to the tip with the old laptop and desktop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
if you really want to go "retro" i have the becker traffic assist sat nav (15 years old ) if you want it.

just taking up space in the office.

complete kit,just needs maps update.

let me know or it is going to the tip with the old laptop and desktop.
Dang, I never saw this. Don't bin it you'll get ~£100 on ebay !!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
End of the road for my & my T4 I think. I've hardly used it for the last couple of years and nowadays a 4x4 would be more useful.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts