VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
15,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quite fancy the idea of a stand up paddle board but know nothing about them can anyone offer any advice please ?

Is it worth me buying one to have a play on ? Yes i realise i'll probably start by falling in alot ...but this is how you learn right :LOL:.
What sort of money ? Inflatable? What size ??

Advice very much appreciated as always. Cheers B&T

·
Team Silver
134 Posts
I quite fancy the idea of a stand up paddle board but know nothing about them can anyone offer any advice please ?

Is it worth me buying one to have a play on ? Yes i realise i'll probably start by falling in alot ...but this is how you learn right :LOL:.

Well there’s a whole can of worms

It all depends... go and hire some first and give it a go... inland / still water first

We got inflatables as a start - great to chuck in the van...

Price / performance / new or second hand / depends on where you want to SUP - shorter boards for waves - bigger for cruising or touring or flat water - also depends on displacement required ie if you’re a least like me you need a bigger - wider one to start to make it comfortable - the best starter boards have been Fanatic for the last few years... but STX are a good quality brand also..

Lots of cheap trash on the market - so beware and I would recommend get advice from a good shop or water centre

HTH ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Team Silver
134 Posts
Thanks mate (y) .
I started looking at 'Red'? Inflatable boards , Seen lots at the beach today ....they aint cheap
Maybe right thinking to rent some and see how much water i swallow .
The red paddle company make some good ones too - but yes a little over priced

There’s a shop in east Wittering - shore sports in shore road they’re a decent lot in there - ask for roscoe - he has a lot of experience..

The other way, there’s a centre in Christchurch that do Red amongst some other makes...

Good luck - it’s good fun - I’m rubbish but my kids are ace

·
Registered
15,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm useless at surfing so i might be just as bad on a paddle board 😄.
Saw a 10'8" board today (not inflatable) it looked absolutely massive!! :oops:
I did think i'd need a bigger van .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I surfed for years before taking up paddle boarding and found it very different. A decent inflatable is great and much easier to transport than a solid board. But best advice would be to check a local centre that does it. Not only will they give you advice on how to do it but will also offer advice on what boards are good value and even may have some ex rental or display for sale 😉

·
Registered
73 Posts

Morning.
I've recently looked to take some surfing lessons as it's 25 years (and plus 5 stone) since I was last on a board. The surf schools close to me also do SUP lessons at reasonable prices. Maybe finding something like that close to yourself as a taster could be a way to go?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I've been think along the same lines BT, I was chatting to a lad who told me they have sold loads recently! That means they will be on sale shortly on gumtree when folk realise they dont like it after 1 paddle!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a cheapie board from Lidl last year - reduced to £100 - has been a great starter board. We stayed at Rushbank farm last week on the banks of the stour. We managed to get to the next village -Nayland - two up and combined age over 120 - to sink a few pints! We nearly got all the way back too. Great fun and a great site!

·
Team Silver
134 Posts
I'm useless at surfing so i might be just as bad on a paddle board .
Saw a 10'8" board today (not inflatable) it looked absolutely massive!! :oops:
I did think i'd need a bigger van .

Plenty of room always down here at mudeford quay... you just need to get the tide right...

We go here quite a bit - it’s quite forgiving unless it windy... :)

Have a crack at it mate - it’s a good laugh and if you start sitting down or kneeling up - that’s the easiest way to get more confidence...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Stand ups have come down in price over the years.
I've had a couple of 11' ers just for going up and down the coast here. Any shorter and stability will be compromised.
Inflatables could be the way to go eBay, Gumtree etc.
Have fun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There’s a lot of options, many depend on your price range, what you want it for, and dare I say it, weight.

Highly recommend hiring one first for a few goes at least just to see if you like it or not, they are pretty cheap for the hour and I guarantee you’ll know if you like it or not within that first hour.

Better to pay £15 an hour a few times than £700 for something and not like it.

They aren’t too hard to get used to as long as you have some form of balance but be prepared to fall off, embrace it, it’s part of the experience.

I’ve got a Jobe 10’6 aero board. A good general all rounder, not cheap but I paddle board quite often so wanted a good one that will last.

Go into / call up a proper surf / sup shop and get their opinions, they are pretty knowledgable and the right shop will direct you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a Red 10'6. Expensive boards but Andy Biggs in Hayling or Gosport does a deal on new Reds and STX iSUPS where you can put an initial deposit down and pay the rest monthly. Really helped me afford one. He does sometimes get second hand and ex-hire in too. New Reds now come with a 10 year warranty. I've had my board about a year and I still fall in all the time but it's lovely falling in the sea on a hot day! Great fun.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts