VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok so to revive an old thread - desperate again now to buy something before we go out on our travels in a couple of months time .
A couple of boards have popped up -

Or a Jobe Yarra 10ft. 6" (320cm) Paddle Board with Paddle, Pum...

Any advice on either of these would be very much appreciated or anything else in the £300-£400 range .
Thanks guys .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi B&T, I have the blue fin cruise 10.8. They are well made and very stable and unlike some don’t bend in the middle (might just be my weight) as they are 150mm. They also have a 5 year warranty. The kit they came with is good ie a seat/support and the paddle can be made to 2 head so it can used like a canoe. At the time I bought mine it came with a12v pump.
The dog also finds it very stable.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have a pup willing to takethat exact position ( but probably less likely to be still or calm about any of it) :LOL:.
I was ready to hit the button on a bluefin when the boss put the Jobe option infront of me this morning :unsure:....😫

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a pup willing to takethat exact position ( but probably less likely to be still or calm about any of it) :LOL:.
I was ready to hit the button on a bluefin when the boss put the Jobe option infront of me this morning :unsure:....😫
Yep, he’s only just gaining his confidence. We have 2 cruise 10.8 boards, if he is on my board he cries for the mrs and hops from mine to hers. Then cries for me and hops back on. So we just got another pup to make a matching pair. She’s not been out on the water yet but had first trip in the van last week.👍.
Vertebrate Motor vehicle Textile Mammal Carnivore
Dog Carnivore Fawn Companion dog Dog breed

First time on a board was a hire at Ullswater. That was Jobe 10.6. Was good. Did a SUP training session near me on River Tees, the board was RED, I think it was a 10.6 but was 100mm and bit narrower. It was faster through the water but not as steady for me being a beginner.
I’m more for the leisurely paddle and take in the scenery.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ellie is a Cockapoo, 14 weeks and very sassy. Herbie is 3 years old (Cockapoo) and it took him 3 weeks to accept her but now they are best buds and he dotes on her. Even though she is tormenting the life out of him and just wants to play all the time.
We’ve got a site at Coniston booked for bank hol so hoping to take boards. It’s a bit more cramped in the van with the dog crate but should be able to fit a board in.
Good luck with your SUP which ever make you choose, they are fun and if you can get Taz on aswell she might enjoy it also.👍

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sounds awesome , defo want to get Taz to come out with me on the board .....and secretly hoping the missus wants to try it and we can make it a family thing .
You'll have to update us on Ellies adventures 👍

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Our Taz still wants to play with anyone and everyone she meets , young, old , friendly or not ...she's not fussed :LOL: .
14 weeks ...does she sleep through yet ?
I need my sleep and the deprivation was the hardest bit for me .
Dog breed Toy Carnivore Dog Water dog

7 months old now, 9.5kgs ....and daft as!
I wouldn't be without her 🥰.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Taz looks a bundle of fun and is a beautiful colour.
Ellie sleeps through and even went all night in the van🎉👏. We were very apprehensive before going that we might annoy people opening sliding door early hours 🤫. I think having the older dog helped.
She gets a bit travel sick but is getting better each time we go out. Mrs sits in the back with her.
Herbie has a bench on the double passenger seat so the 3 off us can sit together up front. Don’t know what we are going to do as Ellie gets bigger as he won’t give his seat up. She might just have to stay in a crate in the back.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Taz goes in her crate in the back if shes tired but the second she wakes up she kicks off cuz she's zipped in and thinks shes missing out .
She then comes up front and shes happy again .
On the SUP subject i'm questioning whether the bluefin is abit heavy having looked at the weight compared to others....and then read a review saying it was good but too heavy 🤷‍♂️
I'm still very much guessing and second guessing everything 😫.
Mates just ordered a samphire - 10'4'' Inflatable Paddleboard (Squid Ink Black)

£800 down to £300 ......? Really ??

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I've got a Jobe Leona - 10'6. It's fantastic! Really good quality and bought direct from my local watersports shop who were great in giving advice on what board to choose.
Jobe sell it for about £560 but I paid about £400 but also bought an Ion Booster X bouyancy jacket at the same time. I think thesupco.com and sup.co.uk have it even cheaper now at £390 but I'd prefer to buy from a local store.
I was going for an STX Freeride but their stock was delayed and stuck in Europe somewhere with the whole Brexit/Covid situation still going on and they couldn't give me an exact date for more arriving into the UK so offered me the Jobe instead for the same deal price and I'm glad I went for it. Absolutely love it!
I go out on it a few times a week now on the rivers and canals around me, been up to the Lakes on it and twice in the sea and it's performed brilliantly.

Also worth checking out SportsPursuit.com (you have to sign up to buy from them, but its free, so no real biggy). There's usually loads of SUP's on there (including those Samphire ones you linked to above - the one you've linked to is only £239 on sportspursuit).
I'd disregard the £800-300 discount, there's so many SUP's priced like that obviously done just to try reel people in thinking they're getting a bargain. I've never seen them for sale at the 'full price'! 🤨

I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with a local board supplier / watersports centre and get some advice - they can give you best idea of what size will suit you and for where/how you want to use it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a pair of I-rocker cruisers. Last month. Just been away for a fortnight on the Dorset coast they were great.
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Here(Colchester) we use them on the rivers. I'll say it's a damn sight easier on the river than the sea. We're planning to take them out again later today, partially to wash all the salt and sand off.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Paddle

I went for the cruisers as we have an 8 and a 10 year old. Who we wanted to sit on the front of the boards and the cruiser is meant to be very very, stable. A friend of mine is really into SUPs and recommended the cruiser. They were half price when we bought them so £360. The kids love them so much they now want their own. Which I am over the moon with as the 10 y/o has no interest in my other outdoor interests and is a complete screenaholic.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
More is More - in case you weren't aware, iRocker have just recently issued a recall for some of their current boards "due to the use of substandard glue during a five-month manufacturing period resulting in seam separation and deflation of affected units". Might be worth checking out if your models is one of those affected just to be on the safe side (y)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks 64-split. I think the Cruisers were not effected. Maybe I should have more of a look. But I think it's mainly the all arounds. Also as far as I could work out on the Facebook page it seems to affecting the Americans more.
Edit.....
Sorry just took a look. It's the black fins not the A-As
Font Screenshot Number Magenta Electric blue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sky People in nature Azure Body of water Grass

My daughter and dog love this board. Cost about £200 and its out about 3 times a week in the summer.
Road surface Tree Plant Landmark Asphalt

I had a bigger one from two barefoot, which is really stable and good for beginners (but expensive). Happy paddling

41 - 60 of 124 Posts