VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 'surf key' for when I go trail running - an all too often wet and sweaty activity and didn't want to risk damaging the electronic key.
It wasn't cheap!
£78.60 to be exact - including postage as my 'local' VW Commercial dealership is 1.5 hours from home...

First time I used my lovely new key the alarm went off when I used it to open the van.
Tested it at home to see if I was being stupid in the dark but no... alarm goes off...

Just spoken to the service dept. at my 'local' dealer and they say that everything is fine and that is what should happen... ???

???
!!!

You can't start the vehicle without the electronic key...
So... why does the vehicle need to disturb everyone when you open it with the right key???

The dealer's answer was that surely you'd want the alarm to set and then go off when the door was opened, what if someone had had a key cut and then used it to open the vehicle...

What kind of logic is that??
Suspect I'll get similarly short shrift from VW Customer Services - as was the case with the stupid beeping alarm on the electric doors...

Ah well.
Here goes...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
My key was £9 at Timpsons, use it to lock the van no issues, hide yer regular key in the van, use cut key to open the door and then use key inside to beep and disable alarm, works a treat.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,168 Posts
When you unlocked the van and the alarm went off, did you first lock the van with that same key?

I got a "surf" key from a independant locksmith - doesn't set the alarm off if the alarm was not set initially - think they are usually £10 or so

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Paid £10 for my surf key
Alarm goes off when i open the door but it doesn't bother me i just pull out the proper key from its hiding place and blip it
If the alarm bothers you why not get a surf key safe lock on your tow eye instead
Ps how much for a surf key from a dealer :eek:

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,736 Posts
as someone that actually SURFS, I have a KEYA:

cost a few £££'s on ebay (iirc, £3??)

got it cut myself for £5....

Rich.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup - that's what I do. Just shocked that I have to disturb the peace while I get the fob to turn the alarm off.. Hey Ho!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - locked the van with the surf key. Trouble is the alarm then automatically sets after a few seconds - no way, that I know, to stop that happening...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have a surf key from Timsons, i.e. no chip in it, cost £7.50

I know it won't start the engine, it isn't supposed to.. It also checks if the van's immobiliser is working..

My van is a T4..

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yep - locked the van with the surf key. Trouble is the alarm then automatically sets after a few seconds - no way, that I know, to stop that happening...
You can't with a factory fitted alarm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts